News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Starting this one for Nick (Obergefreiter).

Great Britain: First World War British Victory Medal R.M.A. 10891 Gr. A. Birch. Comes with Copy of Birch’s personnel record. Birch served as a Gunner in the Royal Marines Artillery, enlisting in 1904, served at Ostend and Dunkirk in 1914 entitled to 1914 Mons Star; later served with the BEF in France from Sept. 1915 until May 1917. Has initials W.Mc.M. on the lower left obverse. GW 30.3gr. Diameter 36.13mm x 3.5mm. Paul Peterson, Maritime Military Medals and Collectables, Eastern Passage, Nova Scotia , February 14, 2011. NAT.

Cap badge displayed with the medal is the post-1953 other ranks badge - the Royal Marine Artillery had their own distinct helmet plate and cap badge. During WWI the badge worn in the service dress cap was infact a flaming grenade(can't remember the number of flames), the ball being plain in gilding metal.

Edited by Graham Stewart

A very nice medal, and one I was tempted by myself. During the First War the Royal Marines were divided into Royal Marine Light Infantry and Royal Marine Artillery ("Red Marines" and "Blue Marines", from the colours of their dress uniform).

Thanks, Gents. The capbadge will come off tomorrow, when I get home from work. Guess I'll have to look for an earlier version. Can anyone tell me anything about the medal? ie manufacture, type, etc? Any information will be gratefully appreciated. Thanks. Nick.

British Victory Medals fall into the following categories:-

Official Type 1 & 2.

Repro Type 1 & 2.

And there exists a modern copy.

As yours has the "barrel" type suspension and good

definition its either original Official Type 1 or 2.

The manufacturer's were:- Woolwich Arsenal, Wright & Son, Royal Mint.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Thanks, Gents. The capbadge will come off tomorrow, when I get home from work. Guess I'll have to look for an earlier version. Can anyone tell me anything about the medal? ie manufacture, type, etc? Any information will be gratefully appreciated. Thanks. Nick.

Nick,

There is a long running thread in the 'Rest of The World' forum sub-section on the whole Interallied victory medal series. There are also a couple of pics of the British official type 1 vic that is different to yours, as a type 2.

Regards,

Rob