News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

National Defence Medal?

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Statement From Minister

"In the light of a number of campaigns conducted by veterans groups and others, we are

considering whether there is a case for change, given the underpinning principles that

we adhere to. In doing so, appropriate consideration will be given to proposals to

institute a National Defence Medal.

The background and arguments on the case for certain medals, such as the institution of

a National Defence Medal, are well known and understood by Ministers and officials

and will be fully considered. At this time, I do not believe there is a requirement for

further consultation during this review."

"The Government and I pay the highest tribute to them (Veterans), but I am not sure that most of them would want that tribute recognised by the receipt of a material object such as a medal simply for having been there. Medals should be earned not expected."

Andrew Robathan MP

"I can confirm that the review of the rules governing the award of medals is complete, and the results will be released before Easter."

Dr Liam Fox

• 1 month later...

An update from the Chairman

MEETING WITH THE ARMED FORCES MINISTER TO DISCUSS THE COALITION GOVERNMENT’S (MoD) MEDAL REVIEW

On Tuesday 26 April 2011, as the co-Chairman of the UK National Defence Medal campaign, I had a discussion with the Armed Forces Minister in the Ministry of Defence, at his request.

I had expected to be briefed on the final report of the Medal Review. You will recall that the Coalition Government’s medal review was held in secrecy. The terms of reference were not promulgated nor were the dates of commencement or date for reporting its findings to the Veteran’s Minister, Andrew Robathan MP. The review lacked transparency, openness and no veterans were consulted.

It transpired that the Medal Review report, which was sent to the Prime Minister and Deputy Prime Minister on the 16 February for endorsement is still waiting to be signed off due to other commitments. All I got to see was a statement saying the NDM is unlikely to be approved because it does not meet the rules and the Palace would not support a medal awarded by Her Majesty being funded privately.

We now have a situation were a flawed review, with flawed findings is in the Prime Minister’s office to be considered prior to final endorsement. But we are informed the NDM will not be instituted with the MoD trying to swing a lot of the blame for this on to the Palace because of their stance on how medals are funded.

Research shows the reasons given for not instituting the NDM hold no water. I have written a report, which at the end of my meeting I presented to the Armed Forces Minister. He has kindly undertaken to review its contents and get back to me.

Click Here to see a copy of that report. Regardless of what views may be held on recognising veterans by the award of a National Defence Medal, most reasonably minded people are unlikely to accept that in a democracy, such a sensitive matter as a Medal Review, which was supposed to address injustice to former servicemen and women spanning over 60 years, could be carried out in such a shameful manner.

The Medal Review should be revisited and open to proper consultation.

Your comments would be most welcome

Best wishes

Terry Scriven, Colonel (retd)

Co-Chairman, UK National Defence Medal Campaign

Can't help but feel this is not the way to go with this. It is like trying to make one of these wan.er medals an official issue medal. Without a doubt there have operational deployments and actions which have not been given due recognition for a number of reasons, most of which is political. But these need to be addressed on an individual basis like Suez eventually was.

However to give everyone who has done time in uniform a medal is in my opinion a misplaced and wrong move which undermines the British Medal system andwill cost a fortune Seems to me that there are a few old crusties who want to get on the back of the current crisis in Afghan, in an attempt to further their own recognition at the British Legion. When the reality is they may have only served 4 years in the cookhouse at Aldershot and been discharged with no medals.

They should be putting their efforts into getting a medal for those poor blokes who are coming back from Afghan with limbs missing, they need a British equivalent of the Purple Heart for their sacrifices as well as a decent pension for life.