News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Some years ago I picked up the depicted Preussian medal bar, together with the certificate of the Zentenar-Medaille 1897.

The certificate is made out to a Eisenbahn-Zugführer from Braunschweig.

The group consists of: Kriegsdenkmünze für Nichtkämpfer, Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen 2. Klasse, Zentenar-Medaille 1897.

What puzzles me, is de coloration of the AE2 ribbon. Half of the ribbon visible is white & orange but the other visible half is (discolored?) white-ochre. As far as I can see, the bar has not been 'doctored'. The piece of the ochre stripe which lies under the overlapping ribbon with is also ochre, thus there is no discoloration due to age or sunlight.

Does any Gentleman have a clue?

xr9fr.jpg

20qe0k4.jpg

t560zq.jpg

I think the jeweler ran out of stock on the ribbon halfway through, and used a piece from a different stock, explaining the different UV reactions.

That seems a reasonable explanation... I was thinking about some chemical reaction from yellow centenary ribbon, but that would probably affect the other half of the ribbon too?

Odd, but Vince is probably right.

One other thing the 1870/71 and the general service medal are worn with the reverse up.

If it were mine, I'd fix that. As I think most were changed threw to years and were not worn like this. To many collectors think and thought it were right like this - and "fixed" it.

Edited by saschaw

Thank you all very much for your comments, very helpful indeed! :beer:

I'll take the suggestion of Saschaw to turn the two medals (that's easy), thank you for this remark!