News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Persia - Order of the Lion and the Sun

Europeans really desired this Lion and Sun medal, so that would explain why there are so many different European makers of this medal. The Europeans preferred the higher quality European made medals rather than the Persian made medals it seems. If All the Persians received standing lion with sword medals why would the Persians also make Lions laying down medals in great quantities. I would assume that the Persian ones were for local consumption.

Markus

Of course they desired orders (many of them still are :lol:).

And the most "available" order to satisfy this demand was Lion and Sun.

I really don't know anything about Europeans preferences toward European work (sounds realistic to me), but one thing is for sure - Persians could place orders for their orders (:)) in European private workshops and I think that they actually did it.

Cheers,

Nick

Some additional thoughts.

I think that we are observing "too many" standing lions with swords for this equality to be truth "standing lion with sword = military division".

Something strange is going on with ribbon colors. I just checked about 50-60 photos of lions and suns (yep, that many :)) they all (standing and lying) have green ribbon or green ribbon with two red stripes (later ones). Now (thanks to Markus beautiful display) we see red ribbons and according to information of the owner of these beauties this ribbon indicate art&science division.

Well... Then what is going on in post # 78?!

What we've got their is order for artistic/scientific killing (i.e. if standing lion=military division) :)

And where these mythical white and blue ribbons?!? Do they exist?

Trouble (without shooting) list for Lion and Sun order

1) it seems that green and red ribbon were used for both versions (standing/lying lion) of the order?!

2) green ribbon with two red stripes - what its real meaning?

3) 8/6/5/4 green/red/non-enameled rays in breast stars and badges... Does their color (or its absence) means something? Or is it just manufacturers whims?

4) crown/absence of crown - what is it? Indication of something? Manufacturer whim? Or just consequence of changes in coat of arms?

5) stars at the tips of breast star rays? Decorative element or something more?

6) do we have any information about the actual statute of this order?

7) do we have any documented groups for this order?

8) any documents at all?

Any ideas?

Edited by JapanX

This web site seems to have to most information on the Lion & Sun order:

http://www.qajarpages.org/qajorders.html

As to the crown placement on the Lion & Sun order, pre-1872 orders all had the crown as part of the design and the Lion & Sun order was redesigned in 1872, eliminating the use of the crown. I have seen different theories on the color of the rays, gold, green, red and very rarely black, but in the end they all seem to be conjecture. No one has definitive proof as to the reasons the different rays colors. This order has very little information to be found. There doesn't appear to be any comprehensive books on the subject. I think the stars between the rays are decorative touches. The beauty of this order to me is that it engaged more Jewelry makers than any other order and exemplified the highest level of jewelers art. So as a collector I am happy to see such a variety of makers and am pleased that the wide spread desire and issuance of this order left us with such a beautiful and varied order.

A close up of a Persia Lion & Sun, 3rd class breast star with a beautiful painted center medallion. I have come across a few of these incredible hand painted medallions from Persia that have been painted by famous Persian miniature painters. Persian made, private collection.

This is my updated list of known makers of Persia Lion & Sun. I would guess that it contains up to 95 percent of the makers, but I am always finding a new one. Please feel free to post any other makers and samples you know of.

European makers

Baqueville (Paris)

CH. Billard, A.D. Marie Succ. (Paris)

Bertrand (Paris)

Boullanger (Paris)

Chobillon (Paris)

Dazeville (Paris)

Edouard (St.Petersburg)

Godet & Sohn (Berlin)

Halley (Paris)

Johann Schwerdtner (Austrian)

Kretly (Paris)

Lasne Halley (Paris)

Lemaitre (Paris)

D. Ossipov (St. Petersburg)

Ozeretskij (Moscow)

Ouizille & Lemoine ( Paris)

Rothe (Austrian)

Vinc Meyers Sohne (Austrian)

J.H.Werner ( German)

Wolfers (Belgian)

Persian makers

Ibrahim

Faiz Allah

Saniolmamalek

Decide to move some of my previous posts of Lion Sun medals to this thread for the mother of all Lion Sun threads. Kretly 1st class Lion & Sun breast star, Markus collection.

Edited by Markus