News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Persia - Order of the Lion and the Sun

Different models of the Lion & Sun Art & Science division. Private collection

This is a separate decoration and not a division of the Order of the Lion and Sun. Officially instituted in 1852 and called the Nishan-i-Ilmi (Order of the Arts and Sciences) as a reward artistic and scientific merit for those who had achieved success in their studies at the recently founded Polytechnic College of Tehran. Later converted to a full scale state order of merit for the advancement of learning and dissemination of knowledge by scientists, writers, educators, artists, etc.

Perhaps the administrator could move #78, # 79 and # 42 to a new thread?

Cheers,

James

This is a separate decoration and not a division of the Order of the Lion and Sun. Officially instituted in 1852 and called the Nishan-i-Ilmi (Order of the Arts and Sciences) as a reward artistic and scientific merit for those who had achieved success in their studies at the recently founded Polytechnic College of Tehran. Later converted to a full scale state order of merit for the advancement of learning and dissemination of knowledge by scientists, writers, educators, artists, etc.

Perhaps the administrator could move #78, # 79 and # 42 to a new thread?

Cheers,

James

:lol:

I wonder if 19 century Persians were confused by all this multiform and multicolor order...

Nice one James!!! Thanks for this info!

But now we don't have our precious lion and sun specimen with non-green ribbon.

Good thing I didn't get used to this red ribbon "looks exactly like lion and sun" piece :)

Could you tell if the superimposed silver crown (specimens #42 and #78) is a

1) indication of additional merit

2) indication of class

3) caprice of manufacturer

And really interesting one - why standing lion in case of #78??? I wonder... Military division of college? ;)

Cheers,

Nick

Interesting thing - I found exactly the same order as one that was posted by Markus in post #79 (second row left one) but with.... green ribbon. Isn't it nice? :)

It seems that standing lion and superimposed crown are going together for this art&science order. I will post pictures in couple of days in the new thread (devoted to this order and I (if it is ok with Markus and the owner) will repost these beaties in this new thread together with some interesting additional examples of this order).

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

:lol:

I wonder if 19 century Persians were confused by all this multiform and multicolor order...

Nice one James!!! Thanks for this info!

But now we don't have our precious lion and sun specimen with non-green ribbon.

Good thing I didn't get used to this red ribbon "looks exactly like lion and sun" piece :)

Could you tell if the superimposed silver crown (specimens #42 and #78) is a

1) indication of additional merit

2) indication of class

3) caprice of manufacturer

And really interesting one - why standing lion in case of #78??? I wonder... Military division of college? ;)

Cheers,

Nick

Nick,

I have posted on this in the other thread, but what I said was I have read about a similar decoration to the one at the Polytechnic at the Tehran Military War College. However, I have not been able to find out anything more about it, whether it survived and later morphed into a full-scale state decoration, what classes there were, ribbon colour (if any) or description of insignia.

Given the standing lion and sword, this could be it.

Cheers,

James

Nick,

I have posted on this in the other thread, but what I said was I have read about a similar decoration to the one at the Polytechnic at the Tehran Military War College. However, I have not been able to find out anything more about it, whether it survived and later morphed into a full-scale state decoration, what classes there were, ribbon colour (if any) or description of insignia.

Given the standing lion and sword, this could be it.

Cheers,

James

Yes, could be... But then every military institution of higher education in Iran might has its own ribbon color :)

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

Well, here is an interesting point. The happy owner of this beauty decided to show the actual size of the piece... Not through comparison with usual AA battery :lol:, but with 1st class order of glory... 223 1st class order of glory. Nice choice!!!

A little homage to soviet phaleristics :)

Edited by JapanX

Thanks for posting the Russian beauties Nick. Yes I am fond of these! LOL! I tried researching the NB and PL sliver marks and came up empty. The small medal has Russian Assay mark for sure. I was surprised that I couldn't find the makers with those marks. The Kokoshnik Mark is dated prior to 1908. I think they both are Russian made. It seems like a lot of the jeweled lion and suns were made by Russian makers.

http://www.925-1000.com/Frussia.html

Edited by Markus

This is a beautiful Jeweled Lion and Sun that hammered in the Künker Auction for 3,200 Euro. I think it also looks like a Russian made piece.

Nice piece - terrible price :lol:

Too high for "glass", way too low for jewels...

Thanks for posting the Russian beauties Nick. Yes I am fond of these! LOL! I tried researching the NB and PL sliver marks and came up empty. The small medal has Russian Assay mark for sure. I was surprised that I couldn't find the makers with those marks. The Kokoshnik Mark is dated prior to 1908. I think they both are Russian made. It seems like a lot of the jeweled lion and suns were made by Russian makers.

http://www.925-1000.com/Frussia.html

Markus, back in Russia they call it "именник".

Maker who marked his pieces with this one (NB) is not known.

At least we know that this piece was made before 1908 ;)

Cheers,

nick

Nice piece - terrible price :lol:

Too high for "glass", way too low for jewels...

These jeweled Lion and Suns must melt the collector's heart and wallet like a diamond engagement ring melts the woman's heart and the man's wallet! :P

It seems that whenever one of these jeweled Lion and Suns is auctioned, a new record is set.

Edited by Markus

These jeweled Lion and Suns must melt the collector's heart and wallet like a diamond engagement ring melts the woman's heart and the man's wallet! :P

Damn right!

Or they just really think these are the real diamonds :lol:

Our shiny baubles represent far better value for money.

A few months ago, I wandered into a store famous for its pink diamonds. The jaw hit the floor in shock at the prices. $30,000 for something you have to squint very hard just to be able to see.

Imagine how much bling WE could buy for that :lol: