News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

anyone know what this RAF knife was used for

I think this knife was used for cutting harnessbut the fact that it has no point indeed the point area is reinforced has me puzzled. Both the knife and sheaf are marked up with a viewing crown but no letters or no underneath, AM, 1877/35mu/c428/21f/254. the obsolete mark and Rogers Sheffield England.The sheaf was designed to be worn on a belt Ian

Edited by Ian Shepherd

That's an RAF Survival Knife . They were sewn onto the flying suit/vest. Its designed to cut the fabric of seat restraints and ropes.

Joe

Ian

I believe that your knife is of the type packed into RAF dinghy's for use in survival situations. I have seen them with a hole in the blade end and of a similar shape to the one shown,

Regards Simon

Hello Ian,

It took a while to find but here is what Frederick J. Stephen has to say about your knife in his book, "Fighting Knives". There is not a lot to add this post but I thought you would like to see this anyway. Text follows the knife's photo.

Regards

Brian

Here's the text from the book. I took the easy route and just photographed it.

Regards

Brian

Hi Brian, thanks for your information. I will tell the club members that they got it wrong at the next meeting. Cheers Iam