News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Strange name on Victory medal ?

Hi all, I bought a Victory medal but when looking at the rim its says 2. LIEUT. W . MANCER and nothing more ?

I cant find any W Mancer on the net , could it be to an South African or Canadian soldier ?

Thanks in advance from Sweden

Christer

Hi all, I bought a Victory medal but when looking at the rim its says 2. LIEUT. W . MANCER and nothing more ?

I cant find any W Mancer on the net , could it be to an South African or Canadian soldier ?

Christer

Hi,

is it the South African Version of the Victory medal?

Christer

Hi Christer,

Totally normal British VM! Officer's victory medals had only their rank and name impressed - nothing else. Unusual name, so hopefully possible find out more.

If its South African Victory Medal, it should be bi-lingual on the reverse?

MvH,

Timo

Mancer from Manchester Regiment :cheeky:

You can find some of details from his Medal Index Card. Surely well worth to do more research about him (Census, London Gazette, etc!)

186941113085aa_l.jpg

From LLT:

20th (Service) Battalion (5th City)

Formed in Manchester on 8 November 1914 by the Lord Mayor and City. Moved to Morecambe.

April 1915 : moved to Grantham and placed under command of 91st Brigade in 30th Division. Moved to Larkhill in September 1915.

November 1915 : landed at Boulogne.

20 December 1915 : Brigade transferred to 7th Division and Bn then transferred to 22nd Brigade in same Division.

November 1917 : moved with Division to Italy.

13 September 1918 : left Division and returned to France. On arrival joined 7th Brigade in 25th Division.

Edited by Noor