News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Korean War Veteran Medal

Hi,

This medal and the miniature were sent to the Korean Veterans last year by the Korean Government.

demir

Do you know how the recipients were selected? My Dad was a Korean War vet. Although he is now deceased, I would like to see if I could contact someone and obtain one for his display case.

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Do you know how the recipients were selected? My Dad was a Korean War vet. Although he is now deceased, I would like to see if I could contact someone and obtain one for his display case.

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Hello Ed,

As mentioned in my thread I was in Turkish War Veterans Association and they were giving away the awards after checking the list of the Korean War enlisted personnel.

I think it will be a good idea to get in touch with War Veteran or similar Association in your city.

Regards

Demir

Hello Ed,

As mentioned in my thread I was in Turkish War Veterans Association and they were giving away the awards after checking the list of the Korean War enlisted personnel.

I think it will be a good idea to get in touch with War Veteran or similar Association in your city.

Regards

Demir

Hi Demir,

Thanks for your reply. I must have missed the comment about the Turkish War Veterans Association-sorry.

Ed

Hi Demir,

Thanks for your reply. I must have missed the comment about the Turkish War Veterans Association-sorry.

Ed

Hi Ed,

No worries. It is always a pleasure to help friends. :beer:

Demir

• 2 months later...

Really? I thought that this a membership medal (like the Kyfserbund or US VFW medal) . I had no idea that it was promulgated by the Korean government.

I saw that the President of South Korea handed out a few to Korean war survivors in Ethiopia last summer-but the medal has been around for about a decade I reckon. I bought this group @ 2008.

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings all, and Ulsterman,

Is the third medal stamped on the bottom edge signifying it was made in Sweden by Sporrong & Co? That's the nicer of the two versions. A little less weight but higher quality silver and cleaner design execution.

The first order on the left seems to be a variation on the Order of Menelik, "possibly" made after Haile Selassie I's reign. I've also heard of it being an "NCO Version" but I have no confirmation of either possibility presently.

As you can see, I LOVE these things!

Jah Jim

Jah Jim do you have any info on what other Ethiopian medals/ordes that Sporrong made? The one Ulsterman has posted doesn't look like my sporrong-made Korea medal. Is it marked?

/Kim

Hi,

According to the book "Honors, Medals and Awards of the Korean War 1950 - 1953" by Kevin R. Ingraham, this medal is the "Allied Korean War Veterans Medal" and is sponsored by the (R.O.K.) Korean War Veterans Association. Allied veterans on K.W.V.A. sponsored tours and reunions in Korea are awarded this medal during formal ceremonies by the Koreans.

Hope this helps.

Jean-Paul

Hi Jim:

Yes-it is Sporoong. The Meneliak medal is definitely made in Ethiopia-hollow, two-pieces, stamped brass, soldered together -but the detail is superb-esp. on the Lion of Judah. I assumed it was some "lower class" of the order-or a replacement/wearer's copy. I understand the Korean War vets were persecuted under the Derg regime.

Jah Jim do you have any info on what other Ethiopian medals/ordes that Sporrong made? The one Ulsterman has posted doesn't look like my sporrong-made Korea medal. Is it marked?

/Kim

No, Kim, I don't. I know they made a variety of items for Royal Ethiopia, but have no list available. Is the company still in existence, and can you ask them for us? I'm under the impression they probably made more insignia for Ethiopia than medals, and no orders that I know of.

Ulsterman, I look forward to more research on that Menelik, just because it's such a far cry from the normal enamelled and gorgeous two sided Meneliks AND because I have seen one like it before, leading me to believe it either was official (and all other dealers and authors have missed it) or it's another in a series of items, mules for lack of a better term, made up after the regime, by people who found original dies and/or half made badges and added to it to make something saleable from something formerly not. I have found insignia, medals and other items of the sort that have that exact background, but in any case, I'm curious and now want to know more.

Blessings!

No, Kim, I don't. I know they made a variety of items for Royal Ethiopia, but have no list available. Is the company still in existence, and can you ask them for us? I'm under the impression they probably made more insignia for Ethiopia than medals, and no orders that I know of.

The company still exist. But they are not that interested in answering questions. Long time ago I asked them about some other medal and got the answer that all the records were gone. That is probably just a lie to get me of their back - asking "stupid" questions. I have seen Ethiopian insignia marked Sporrong but no other medal...

Kim

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately sometimes the only long term way to get the answer is to have a baby, raise it to be interested in medals and such, and then get it hired to work at the company whose history or statistics you want to know more about, and then hope nature takes it's course.