News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hauptmann von Wegerer, 5. Garde Regiment zu Fuss

Gents,

I'm looking for career information for Hauptmann von Wegerer, 5. Garde Regiment zu Fuss.

Based on the Ranglisten I have here, I can trace his career back to 1907, when he was listed as a Leutnant in 5. Garde Regiment zu Fuss, patent of March 20, 1899. The name tag on a 5. Garde Regiment zu Fuss tunic bears the name "Graf (?) v. Wegerer" and the date "14.4.11", which makes it likely that he also served in the 5. Garde Regiment zu Fuss at least until some time in 1911.

There are several von Wegerer's listed in the 1914 Rangliste and Ehrenrangliste (a Hauptmann in IR 13 who seems to have ended the war as a Major ausser Dienst; a Hauptmann in IR 31 who similarly ended the war as a Major ausser Dienst; and a Hauptmann in IR 73 who also seems to have ended the war as a Major ausser Dienst. There is also a Generalmajor ausser Dienst named von Wegerer), but I cannot determine with certainty which, if any, of those he is.

Any help you can give to complete the missing data between 1907 and 1919 is much appreciated. Any further info, for example on von Wegerer's decorations and possible post war career will also be of interest.

Regards,

Sandro

In an old posting, member Arb had von Wegerer down as serving with the reginment until 1913:

"Wegerer, von* SL.-Oblt. 20.03.1899 5. GRzF 1899 1913"

Regards,

Sandro

Sandro,

the Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 31 v. Wegerer is the former 5. Garde-Regiment zu Fuß Oberleutnant. I don't have a first name just yet.

Regards

Glenn

Many thanks Glenn, truly appreciated.

I look forward to anything else you can point me to.

For grins, I enclose a scan of the tailor's label (rarely found in (pre-)WWI era German tunics these days, mostly removed).

Regards,

Sandro

Many thanks Glenn, truly appreciated.

I look forward to anything else you can point me to.

For grins, I enclose a scan of the tailor's label (rarely found in (pre-)WWI era German tunics these days, mostly removed).

Regards,

Sandro

I have a bit more info, as someone was kind enough to send me a scan of the relevant pages of the 1913 Rangliste: the 1913 Rangliste lists von Wegerer as a Haupmann in IR 31, patent of 1.10.13. It further notes "S29s". If someone could help me understand the meaning of that last notation, or could give me furhter info on von Wegerer (full name, dates of birth and death, career, particularly the date of transfer to IR 31, post war career, decorations etc) that would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Sandro

• 1 month later...

Well, I have certainly looked for von Wegerer and I think he might be the infamous Alfred von Wegerer. The Older General (a Landwehr Divison Commander and double recipient of the EK2: 1914-1870) had two sons according to the 1908 Wer Ists and Alfred, after the war, ended up being a secret military historian, writing a series of books about how the First World War was not Germanys' fault. He portrayed himself a an independent scholar, but in fact was paid via the General Staff . He was lionized by the Nazis. Subsequently Alfereds' book was the catalyst for Fritz Fischers' famous book.

Does anyone have the IR 31 regimental history?

Well, I have certainly looked for von Wegerer and I think he might be the infamous Alfred von Wegerer. The Older General (a Landwehr Divison Commander and double recipient of the EK2: 1914-1870) had two sons according to the 1908 Wer Ists and Alfred, after the war, ended up being a secret military historian, writing a series of books about how the First World War was not Germanys' fault. He portrayed himself a an independent scholar, but in fact was paid via the General Staff . He was lionized by the Nazis. Subsequently Alfereds' book was the catalyst for Fritz Fischers' famous book.

Many thanks Ulsterman, very helpful. I had stumbled upon references to Alfred von Wegerer searching the web, but have sofar been unable to make a connection with the tunic. An IR 31 regimental history could indeed provide us with the link we need.

Regards,

Sandro

Edited by GdC26

Sandro,

I think it is very likely that it was Alfred v. Wegerer. Oberleutnant Alfred v. Wegerer is listed in the Berlin Adreßbuch until 1913 (and then is no longer listed), presumably on his posting to Altona and I.R. 31 in that year.

Regards

Glenn

It is not Alfred, the general's son. It might be another Alfred, per Glenn's Berlin reference.

Rudolf von Wegerer, the commander of the 4th Landwehr Division and according to the Ehrenrangliste later Military Governor of Kalisch and a Gen.d.Inf.a.D., had three sons:

Arthur, born 8.2.1878, was a Regierungsbaumeister. In 1914 he was the technische Hilfsarbeiter bei der Intendantur des XVIII.Armeekorps in Frankfurt a/M. On 1.8.1917 he became the Vorstand des Mil.Bauamts II in Thorn, and in 1918 he was supposed to become the technische Hilfsarbeiter bei der stellv. Intendantur des XVII.A.K. in Danzig, but this was rescinded.

Alfred, born 22.2.1880:

- Leutnant, 22.3.00 F3f

- Oberleutnant, 18.10.09 J48i

- Hauptmann, 27.1.14 Hh

He served in FR 80, and then was transferred to FR 73 at the end of 1913. He's the FR 73 Hauptmann in the 1914 rank list.

Camillo, born 29.10.1882. I have no information on him, but given his age (younger than Alfred, the youngest of the three 1914 Hauptleute von Wegerer), he isn't your guy either.

Edited by Dave Danner

Glenn, Dave, thank you both for the information. Based on the info provided by Dave, I would agree that the notorious Alfred von Wegerer is out. Glenn's referense to the "other" Alfred von Wegerer makes a lot of sense. Is there any way to reconstruct the awardslist of the "other" Alfred? The Ranglisten I have don't provide much if anything on this point, so any pointers anyone can give me are much appreciated.

Regards, and many thanks again to all who have contributed,

Sandro

Dave, Sandro,

actually Dave has a very good point; I should have double-checked. The FR 73 Alfred v. Wegerer was at the War Academy in Berlin in the period 1911-1913 and hence, it is he who is listed in the Berlin Adreßbuch. However a Leutnant Fritz v. Wegerer is shown in 1905.

Regards

Glenn

I've quickly checked the regimental histories of IR 31 and RIR 31. In IR 31 he is mentioned as company commander of 10/IR 31 but mysteriously disappears from the lists late 1914. In the description about the beginning of they war, they mention that Hptm. von Wegerer was transferred to RIR 31 at the outbreak of the war. I couldn't find him immediately in the regimental history of RIR 31 though.

Thank you, AOK4, looks like we're closing in on him. The Ehrenrangliste on page 177 lists a Major ausser Dienst von Wegerer, and the 1919 Dienstaltersliste on page 30 lists a Hauptmann von Wegerer in (R?)IR 31, with a patent for the appointment to the rank of Hauptmann of 1 October 1913. Could both entries relate to our man? I will be interested in any info the RIR 31 history may contain on our man.

Regards, and thanks again for all contributions sofar,

Sandro

Edited by GdC26

• 3 weeks later...

Many thanks Glenn, very much appreciated. Inbetween things, I 've been trawling through copies of the RIR 31 and IR 31 regimental histories to see if I can reconstruct von Wegerer's wartime service. I'll post the combined data from this thread and this search here when I'm done.

Best,

Sandro