News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Two New Texas Medals

John F.

It would appear that the Texas National Guard and the Texas State legislature are doing their part for economic recovery at least by keeping Graco Industries of Tomball, Texas employed with the commission of two more Texas National Guard Medals. Since Sept 11, 2001 the State of Texas has created four new medals for Texas National Guard personnel. The other two previous awards were the Texas Purple Heart and the Texas Cavalry Service Medal.

The two new medals are:

1. The Texas Superior Service Medal

2. The Texas Homeland Defense Service Medal

The award criteria for each medal is as follows:

- The Texas Superior Service Medal shall be awarded to:

1. A member of the state military forces who has:

a. completed 30 or more years of honorable state service or a combination of state and federal service; and

b. continually demonstrated superior performance and service while assigned to key leadership positions demanding responsibility; or

2. A civilian who has contributed significant service to the state military forces.

- The Texas Homeland Defense Service Medal shall be awarded to any member of the state military forces who served:

1. on or after September 11, 2001;

2. on state active duty or active duty under state authority in accordance with Title 32 of the United States Code; and

3. satisfactorily in defense support to a mission in the state under civilian authority (boarder service and airport security)

Rumor has it that the State is also commissioning two service medals for Afghanistan and Iraq.

Edited by John F.

Thank you for the information John. Finally I know what they look like. Do you also have any information about the Humanitarian Service Award, instituted in 2005? I have contradicting pieces of information whether it is a medal or a ribbon only award.

Nice to hear that Graco is alive and kicking. Do you know if the two are available for sale? It would be a great additon to my TX collection.

It seems that skeletal medals are kind of trendy in TX NG. Here are other two medals designed in the same manner. The first is the recently renewed Texas Cavalry Medal. I do not know exactly what the other one is. I spotted it some time ago at a Net auction. I think it is nothing official.

Edited by Lukasz Gaszewski

Hi Lukasz,

The Humanitarian Service Award is just a ribbon. Here is a link to Texas awards: http://txsgair.ipower.com/pr1/ribbons/state_awards.html

It is difficult at best to purchase any new Texas National Guard Medals becasue the Adjutant General of the State of Texas has requested that Graco not sell Texas National Guard Medals to dealers or individuals.

It is intersting to note that the Texas Cavalry Medal that you have pictured will be discountinued (no longer awarded) after this year (2011). The other medal you have is a novelty item made for the yearly Fiesta Celebration in San Antonio, TX. Businesses and organization within San Antonio have company medals manufactured for handouts during Fiesta. Fiesta is South Texas version of Carnaval / Mardi Gras.

Edited by John F.

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose if you have one of these, it can only be worn on a Texas uniform and not on a US Army uniform?

best

Chris

Hi Chris,

You are kind of correct. Army National Guard uniforms are the same as their Active Duty and Reserve counterparts. However, State awards can only be worn while on a Guard Status (Tile 32). If a Gurdsmen is called up for active duty (Title 10) he/she must remove their State awards from thier uniform.

Hi Chris,

You are kind of correct. Army National Guard uniforms are the same as their Active Duty and Reserve counterparts. However, State awards can only be worn while on a Guard Status (Tile 32). If a Gurdsmen is called up for active duty (Title 10) he/she must remove their State awards from thier uniform.

Must cost a bit of money having 2 different sets of medals, one state, one active.

Nice looking medals though, the Federal got could learn something there....

Must cost a bit of money having 2 different sets of medals, one state, one active.

A lot NG personnel opt not to wear thier State awards for that reason becaue they don't want to maintain to sets of ribbons. However, most who have served on Active Duty prior to joining the Guard don't wear them becasue they find them to be a bit silly looking(like myself).

However, most who have served on Active Duty prior to joining the Guard don't wear them becasue they find them to be a bit silly looking(like myself).

I dunno, the Texas Cavalry one has potential. What I like about them is that they break away from "round with a usualyy bad design on it"...