News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Saxon King gives Orders to Wurttemberger Officers

Hi,

Here is an interresting photo of King Friedrich August from Saxe giving Orders to Wurttemberger officers.

The medal : knigh cross 1st cl with X of Albert

Date : 20 July 1917

The first officer to receive it is the OberstleutnantHermann von Brandenstein from IR Nr. 121

He received later the Crown to his Albert knight cross.

Christophe

This was taken circa the Flandernschlacht a.k.a. 3rd Battle of Ypres a.k.a. Battle of Passchendaele.

4 Württemberger divisions were there: 26 Res (v Fritsch), 26 (v Hofacker) , 204 (Hermann v Stein) and 27 (v Moser). The XIX (Sächs) Korps was also there. Incidentally the old Kmdr of XIX Korps, v Laffert, died of heart failure on this exact day and was replaced in August by v Carlowitz. So far unfortunately I have not been able to recognize any generals yet.

Cheers

Elwyn

Thanks Elwyn for the information. Today I have received another photo from the same day in different angle. MAybe you can id someone :whistle: Thanks

Christophe

Hi Christophe,

More precisely, this was most likely König v Sachsen awarding medals to the 4 Württemberg divisions under XIX (sächs) Korps (under v Laffert who just died) after their hard pummeling by the British in the Wytschaetebogen which was a precursor to the 3rd battle of Ypres. IR 121 was part of 26 Res Division under the command of GenLt Albert v Fritsch, later PLM. So he was likely the man with his hand raised to his helmut in the first pic. I see he too had gotten the Albert Order. Still trying on the others. Could the general with his face away from us in both pics be Sachsen Kriegsminister Karl Wilsdorf?

BTW, a bit off topic. In your Sachsen showcase thread, "v Eberhardt" should be later PLM v Ehrenthal. He commanded 23 ID before the war and was recalled to to active service after the outbreak of WW1. Not sure if that was him in the 23 Res Div picture at Hénin Liétard you posted. To me the general up front looked a little like Bernhard v Watzdorf, Kmdr 23 Res Div

Cheers

Elwyn