News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

We see him as an Unteroffizier in July 1915, promoted Vizefeldwebel in October 1915 and commissioned as a Leutnant der Reserve in August 1917.

Confirmed as a Leutnant in the Wehrmacht in July 1938, promoted Oberleutnant in Jan 1942 and Hauptmann in August 1942

Only awards shown are the EK2 in 1916 and the Ehrenkreuz f. Frontkämpfer in 1935.

Unfortunately the entries for his active service are rather vague with references just of "Osten" and "Westen", and in WW2 from November 1939 he is on duty on the Home Front.

His EK2 would appear to relate to his time with Infanterie Regiment 97 "im Feld", serving on the Eastern FRont.

Its his WW2 service of course which is of interest to me, as by then he is 50 years old and probably no longer up to front line service (he is medically discharged in 1944). He is assigned to the Wehrmachts Ordnungstruppe and serves with

3./Streifenkompanie XII

Zugwach-und Bahnhofswachkompanie XII

Wehrkreis-Überwachungs und Betreuungs-Abteilung XII, and

Kommandeur des Streifendienstes Wehrkreis XII

Wehrkreis XII was based in Wiesbaden so I guess he spent most his war there. First book I have seen with such a range of "Wache" type units.

Picked this one up thanks to a tip from Ian Jewison.

Gordon,

I will have to start charging for my services then :D. That was quick! However must have arrived this morning then? Which reminds me, I still need to go through items for you.....as Kevin knows, my room is a mess at the moment!

What are the pencil entries to the right of page 12/13, his role within that unit? Can you make them out if this is the case?

/Ian

Edited by ian jewison

Some of his units:

Grenzwacht-Abschnitt (Regiment) 132

Formed 26.8.1939 through the Ausbildungsleiter Saarlautern, Wehrkreis XII. The Wachkompanien became independant on 25.10.1939 and on 1.10.1940 (orders from 15.9.) formed Landesschützen-Bataillon 778, the rest on 7.11.1939 Festungs-Stamm-Bataillone 1 and 2; Settling in Kreuznach.

Structure: I. 1-5, II. 6-10, III. (Flak) 1-2, IV. Stellungsbatterie 1-2 und Stellungsgeschütze 1-6, added to it Pionier-Sperrkompanie 1-4/132

Under: Generalkommando Saarpfalz

Replacemement unit: 107 Kreuznach, Wehrkreis XII

Panzerabwehr-Abteilung (motorisiert) 645

Formed 26.8.1939 as Army Troops (Heerestruppe); Renamed December to Festungs-Panzerabwehr-Abteilung 645 with 6 Companies under acquisition of units from Grenzwacht-Abschnittes I./132 (Saarlautern); 1.6.1940 disbanded.

Under: Army Troops, later Festungstruppe: Saarpfalz

Replacemement unit: From WK XIII

Ortskommandantur 272

Formed 28.7.1941 in Wehrkreis XII; Used in Heeresgebiet Süd; 9.7.1942 Wehrmachtbefehlshaber Ukraine in Nikopol; 1943 again with Heeresgebiet Süd; 1944 6. Armee and lastly in Hungary; 1945 disbanded.

Replacement unit: 437 Darmstadt, Wehrkreis XII

Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon 437

Formed 5.12.1940 in Darmstadt, Wehrkreis XII;......

14.11.1943 in Saarburg, WK XII; September 1944 (in Pfalzburg) with Abschn.Kommando Nagl then disbanded.

/Ian

Edited by ian jewison

Gordon,

What are the pencil entries to the right of page 12/13, his role within that unit? Can you make them out if this is the case?

/Ian

I can make out a couple - but a larger scan would help.

Ian you are right in your assumption. On page 12 the entry reads: "Als Schütze"

Is that correct? As a Leutnant I would have expected Zug Kdr. or Kp. Fhr. rather than Schütze or Rifelman?

/Ian

Good point! It could be Zugführer - but like I said larger scan will help

Edited by Naxos