News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Luck 13

Very nice cross Tom. I really like how Meybauer put lots of silver stamps and their makers mark on all their pieces. You get the sence they were really proud of their work.

Edited by gregM

While I'm thinking of it, I

ve always wondered how screwbacks were attached. Was there a stitched eylet in the tunic or maybe a metal grommet? Seems to me somet of these could be kinda painful, what with that pointy screw sticking out. If anyone's got a pic of a tunic set up for one I'd sure like to see it.

just to make thins complete, here's my last screwback. Dunno if it was converted in 1914 or 2004 :rolleyes:

Tom,

Nice pieces. The Meybauer appears to be a later war variation when silver was hard to get. It looks like a zinc back plate and a plated brass nut. I have never seen one like this before. The clamshell is nice too. Is the screwback steel? I have never seen that before either. And the pillow back, what can I say, sweet. All in all a super nice group. :beer:

Dan Murphy

Tom,

Nice pieces. The Meybauer appears to be a later war variation when silver was hard to get. It looks like a zinc back plate and a plated brass nut. I have never seen one like this before. The clamshell is nice too. Is the screwback steel? I have never seen that before either. And the pillow back, what can I say, sweet. All in all a super nice group. :beer:

Dan Murphy

You're right about the Meybauer plate. Nonmagnetic with "that taste". The clamshell's nonmagnetic, too. From the verdegris I would imagine plated brass. The rust must have come from something it was stored with.