News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 Military Medal Grouping

An area outside my own experience and I would welcome comment and advice regarding this WW1 Military Medal Grouping.

The Medals, Military Medal, 1914-1915 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal, were awarded to a Private G W Byrne, 6th Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment. The Military Medal award, date of Gazette, was 21st December 1916. The Medals are in good shape, however they have been sewn by threads to the Medal Ribbon Bar, in what looks to be reverse order, probably just to keep them together.

I would like to know how he came to be awarded the MM, also his service and where he served in WW1, any advice and assistance is much appreciated. Regards, Clive.

(having a problem loading images, will try some more later)

Welcome aboard Clive. Looks like you're doing okay picture wise. As far as editing, I think you need to advance to the next level up in your membership and then at the bottom of each post you'll see an edit button. Push that (once it's available) and you'll then be able to make corrections, changes, etc.

As you become more involved and make more posts you'll see your member level change and additional features will be added. Eventually areas will open up that you currently cannot access. So best thing to do is keep making posts, stay involved and things will get better as you go along. If you decide you really like it here and would like to help out in the running of the club you can then subscribe (not required) and that will also open up some new features, etc.

Wish I could help you out re: your bar, which looks quite nice by the way but although I do dabble in British and Commonwealth awards my expertise is somewhat lacking... I'm learning as I go along. But we have a very strong British/Commonwealth section and I know some of our members would be happy to jump in and assist you. Just hang in there and you'll see begin to get the information you need.

Dan :cheers:

Thank you for your comments Mervyn & Dan, I posted this whilst not wearing my glasses, should have gone to Specsavers! I take your point about editing facilities and membership, something for me to consider. Hopefully I will receive some views and opinions about this Grouping in due course. Kind regards, Clive.

heres his medal index card!looks like he entered france in 26-7-15 and i think he was demobbed in 18-3-19 cant find his service papers so looks like there gone and no pension from what i can! probably about all we can find out about him unless you get a DOB! LOVELY group for a nice mid war action!!!

Edited by paddywhack

Many thanks for the information, great to see his Medal Index Card. I would like to know how and where he was awarded the MM, can you advise if it is possible to locate the Gazette? Although WW1 is not my main collecting area, I can not help but think of the terrible conditions in which these soldiers fought. When you see the film footage of trench warfare it amazes me how many did survive. I will try to find out more on the 6th Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment. Regards, Clive.

you might be able to locate why he got it but very often they dont record why he got it just when!his unit war diary might have a mention of it!it is lovely group and the extras really add to it!!!! GREAT group! :jumping: :love:

Edited by paddywhack

Clive,

His name is in the bottom half of the first column here http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29873/supplements/12442

I did an advanced search on the LG site http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/ Unfortunately I have no idea how to find the citation but wouldn't be surprised if the MM was awarded for an action during the 1916 battle of the Somme.

The MM has 6th Bn Northamptonshire Regt. as his unit, now this has nothing to do with George Byrne himself but has much information about his battalion during the July phase of the battle. I found it very interesting and don't even have any Somme related medals to the Northamptonshires http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46837&hl=

Tony

Many thanks Tony, great to see his name in the Gazette, I will do a little more digging myself. The last link I could not access, got onto the website but denied browsing, guess I will have to register to be able to do this. Kind regards, Clive.

Many thanks Tony, great to see his name in the Gazette, I will do a little more digging myself. The last link I could not access, got onto the website but denied browsing, guess I will have to register to be able to do this. Kind regards, Clive.

I'm not registered there either Clive, well I was a long time ago so maybe that's why I could see the page.

Tony

The medals are arranged in reverse order because they were worn by a decendent on the right breast, possibly on Remembrance Day. If you want to re-arrange the order is up to you, but I think it is charming that a widdow or a son has taken the trouble to do it right and reverse the order of the medals to show that she/he did not earn these!

That makes perfect sense and is quite possible. I have done the same when attending Remembrance services for our local Burma Star Association, now sadly closed, and worn my late father's medals on my right breast in his honor and memory. Kind regards, Clive.

From the Great War Medal Collectors Companion by Howard Williamson.

The date the recipient's name appeared in the LG (21.12.16) could possibly mean the MM was awarded for an action in September or October 1916. The book also states it took 3 months on average before the name appeared in the LG,

Clive, it might be worth asking someone to get you a copy of the battalion diary for those 2 months and for August too to be on the safe side.

Tony

Edited by Tony

• 5 months later...

An update on my MM Grouping to Pte G W Byrne. I have very kindly been sent an article that not only shows an image of Byrne, but also explains more about him and how and where he came to be awarded his MM. He was the first man to enlist from Polebrook, joining on the 1st September 1914. I also have been advised that he was wounded at Boom Ravine on the 17th February 1917. Regards, Clive.