News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sources of good Austrian awards

dond

I've branched out a bit from German Imperial into Austrian awards. I know tons of sources for the German stuff but don't have a clue when it comes to Austrian. I can use any help I can get wrt dealers, both good and bad, as well as other sites etc....

Thanks in advance.

d

Hey Don,

I think Austrian medals are fantastic, particularly the Kingdom era ones. The best source in my opinion would be European Auction houses.

Dorotheum is an Austrian Auction house that always has good stock in their order and medals auction. Here is a link to their forthcoming auction in November.

http://www.dorotheum.com/en/auctions/auction-9138-orders-and-decorations.html

The only downside is that their auctions draw collectors with deep pockets on some of the rare orders and you pay 20-25% commissions/taxes on top of your winning bid.

Best of luck!

Markus

Dear Mr. Don

Mr. Bert Brandauer in St. Johann in Tirol, offers medals and decorations from the monarchy, republic 1st and 2nd republic of Austria

http://www.sammlerecke.at/

The auction house Herman Hictoria in München offers a wide range of miliaria in best quality, occasionally also decorations from Austria.

http://www.hermann-historica.de/d/index_abgeschlossen_N.html

Kind regards

Hompesch

I'd love to recommend myself, if I had some more.

:banger:

The usual German dealers (e.g. Bretzendorfer, Straube and others) are usually having some nice K.u.K. stuff, too. It always depends on what you're looking for.

Thanks guys. I tried a well knowen auction house for a FJO described as "gold" but eneded up receiving a bronze one.... I'll check out the others.

vr

d

I also like Berts Sammlerecke. I have found some nice Austrian and German stuff through Liverpool Medals, but until and unless the GBP weakens more against the dollar, I am probably only window-shopping there (that actually applies to the Eurozone as well).

I have had fine luck with FJP Auctions over the years. They have been reliable and reasonable generally speaking. Liverpool Medals are pricey but often can provide that must-have piece. Good luck! The Imperial Austrian stuff is truly underappreciated. I recently returned from Europe and Vienna in particular. I picked up a Knight's Cross of the Order of Maria Theresa in gilded bronze for 250 euros from an apparently reputable dealer. It was sold as a RESTRIKE from the original dies. It is beautiful and is a nice filler for my collection.