News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Captured Weapons - WWI

MG1918

Every Allied nation towards the end of WWI and after, took back to their respective nations thousands of captured weapons, particularly MGs which made fine trophies. It seems that Canada, Australia and New Zealand took a healthy number back, as did the USA. Strangely UK 'war booty' was not that prolific. I am keen to find out how records were taken in that period as I have a marked MG08/15 but of course little history on who/when it was brought back to the UK. In UK museums there are often unit marked, dated/capture details but often there are just serial numbers - any help out there please? VMT. Mark

DSC05254.jpg

DSC05257.jpg

nnhhggg001.jpg

I don't have many postcards showing captured German MGs in the Allies possession so it would be terrific if others could show what they have. Similarly any images of the excellent German soldier using WWI Allied wpns would be of great interest too. Considering the images of how many MGs the French captured and put on display I wonder where they all went!!! :o

Mark

• 3 months later...

Just an update but no suprises really. I still have not found the UK Register but the Canadian one still exists. It seems as far as NZ and Australia are concerned massive amounts of captured war booty from WWI has been destroyed by the Govt 'buy-back' mechanisms. The prices were so high that an incredible amount was handed in and literally destoyed. Stories have emerged of large pits/drains/wells being filled, crates dumped at sea and normal 'metal cutting' and melting. It seems the erasure of so much MG material in NZ and Australia has made the German MGs very rare in those 2 countries, and inevitably the prces are very very high when they do surface. Maybe I should offer a table of most costly to lowest price but I am still always amazed at how expensive WWI German MGs are in Germany! Does anybody know anything about the alleged warehoses in Russia containing stil so much captured items, from both world wars?

Mark

Guest talltom

Does anybody know anything about the alleged warehoses in Russia containing stil so much captured items, from both world wars?

Mark

mark most of those are no empty

and some fantastic pictures really brilliant

• 1 year later...

Mark - your original post has built-up to be an exceptional record of captured weaponry. You ask the question - what happened to it all ?

I don't suppose we will ever know for sure - dispersed through so many 'paper trails'. I do know that in Australia, many were given to be

put on display at small local museums and at Territorial HQ's. One of our Aussie members showed some decaying ones standing outside

a museum in Queensland. We did try to get something done, however, they were having an election at the time.

Perhaps this would be a good time for interested members to keep a list of where they see them on display - and drop you a line. You could

then start a ref. register ? Mervyn