News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Walter Nowotny and Finnish Liberty Cross ?

Just a very short question , in Wikipedia (yes I know that is not the most thrustworthy place :whistle: )

It says that he got the Finnish Liberty Cross 1st Class , I guess with his time in JG 54 it would be a

real possibility but I cant find this anywhere else in writing and never seen any pics of him with a Liberty Cross.

Anyone know the truth about this ?

Christer

Dear Christer,

I found this colour photo of Walter Nowotny. The last ribbon on his ribbon bar is for something foreign but it does not match the Finnish Liberty Cross 1st Class. The Finnish ribbon is red with two thin white stripes near the egde.

Some thoughts of my own: the ribbon on the ribbon bar could be a "close enough match" when it was made or maybe someone has misinterpreted this ribbon as the Finnish Order.

Best wishes

Matt

Edited by M Hunter

I have done some more searching. :cool: I knew I had seen this ribbon before.

It looks like the Russian Order of St. Stanislaus but that would be highly impossible on this ribbon bar so I am assuming it was the ribbon in stock that was the closest match to the Finnish Liberty Cross. But I think some sort of documented evidence is needed to prove this. :hitler:;)

Best wishes

Matt

• 10 months later...

hey guys i came across this tonight after my boyfriend did some history on my family that ive never done and it brought me here. Walter Nowotny is my great great uncle and i wanted to let you know that i do not know if he got the liberty cross but i will find out the next time i go to my grandfather's house and i will come back and let you know. thank you