News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Wondering if anyone has any Army lists for the period 1894-1907, I just picked up a pair of British medals to this officer and it seems he served in China during the Boxer Rebellion and I'm trying to find out his medal entitlement for the German Army (or any other interesting service)

Found a list of his service as follows http://www.marine-in...ml/3_8_2_f.html

Thanks

Mossop

I have a Major Credner (Major since Jan. 27, 1908) commanding the 1st Battalion of Infantry Regiment 32 in 1909. but that must be a different Credner.

Kolonial-Handels-Adressbuch 1909 Behörden in Kiautschou.

III. Seebataillon.

Kommandeur: Major Credner.

Kompagniechefs: Hauptleute:

Lieber,

v. Schoeler,

Schering,

Hink,

Graf v. Brockdorff.

Edited by Naxos

Naxos does have the right Hermann Credner. Major Credner successively served in Infantry Regiments 32 and 28 after leaving the Marine Infantry before retiring in the rank of a charakterisierter Oberst with the uniform of Infantry Regiment 112 on 17 January 1912. He served in WW1 rising to the rank of charakterisierter Generalmajor and command of the 97. Reserve-Infanterie-Brigade in 1917. He had been the first commander of Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 226.

Regards

Glenn

Thanks Naxos/Glenn, I didn't expect that he had gone on serving after 1909, that gives me a fair bit more to look into.

Regarding his service with the Army , then III. Seebataillon, then back to the Army, is this unusual?

Mossop

Hello mossop,

in Rangliste vom 1904 I found Major since 27.01.03 Credner

he did his service at 2. Oberrheinisches Infanterie Regiment No. 99 kommandiert als Führer der Stammkompanie des III Seebatallions and later this

year II Seebatallion mit Wahrnehming der Geschäfte beauftragt

Sorry my english is not good enough to translate this

I hoop that I could help you

Regards

Andreas

Thanks Andreas/Glenn That’s fantastic infomation!

He seem to have had an interesting service. As part of it he seems to have served with the British in India in some capacity and received two British medals, the following from the UK National Archives :

Collection 89/33 Grant of medals to properly accredited officers of foreign (German) governments attending expeditions into Waziristan and Tirah: Baron Gaertner and Captain Credner. IOR/L/MIL/7/3986 1899

This concerns the the following medals he received; India General Service Medal 1854 - 95 Bar: Waziristan 1894 - 5 and the India General Service Medal 1895 - 1902 Bars: Punjab Frontier 1897 - 98 / Tirah 1897 – 98

What exactly he was doing I don't know, possibly an observer??

He seems to have written a book also of his time in India;

Tage-Buch (Tagebuch) der Reise nach Indien vom 29. November 1894 bis 3. Mai 1895.

Mossop

Glenn thats amazing!!, thanks so much :D

He has a fair rack of medals even before WW1!

Guessing this is Order of Red Eagle with Swords, 2 Long service, Colonial medal 2 clasps for China?, not sure and again not sure, last the two British medals?

Mossop

Red eagle, long service, China medal with 2 battle clasps, Prussian 1897 Centenary Medal, Baden Zaehringer Lion KC without swords 3rd class, then the two British medals

Edited by Naxos

Some additional bits of information:

• 30.01.09 - Left command of III.See-Btl. and attached to III.Stamm-See-Btl.
    • 04.08.09 - Released from navy service and assigned to the staff of IR 32, I believe with effect from 1. Sept. 1909
    • 02.09.09 - Award of Prussian Crown Order III. Class gazetted in the Militär-Wochenblatt
    • 17.09.09 - Named a battalion commander in IR 32
    • 16.11.10 - Transferred to the staff of IR 28
    • 20.04.11 - Award of the Commander's Cross II. Class of the Saxe-Ernestine House Order (Komturkreuz II. Klasse des Herzoglich Sachsen-Ernestinischen Haus-Ordens) gazetted in the Militär-Wochenblatt
    • 17.01.12 - Retired
    • 15.01.16 - Award of the Bavarian Military Merit Order III. Class with Crown and Swords (Militär-Verdienstorden III. Kl. mit der Krone und mit Schwertern)
    • 21.11.16 - Award of Prussian Crown Order II. Class with Swords gazetted in the Militär-Wochenblatt

He also received the Officer's Cross of the Netherlands House Order of Oranje at some point. It is listed in the 1910 rank list, but not 1909. I don't see an entry in the Militär-Wochenblatt, so he might have been awarded it before leaving navy service.

• 1 month later...

wow!!!

I'd LOVE to see that medal bar!

He must've left an account of Tirah somewhere.

whoops- after a quick snout round googlebooks, Credner did leave a full book on his accounts of the Afghan "troubles" and was a member of the Frankfurt geographical society.

I also see his medals were sold at Neate's auction in November, 2011 after being removed from his medal bar obviously as a Captain in IR 137) and misidentified as his Uncles"?