News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

PARTISAN RANK PROBLEM

Hi to all,

I bought today this picture. It has the caption in recto "PEJE 1944" (PEC, 1944). The three partisans in it, are Albanian (of the Albanian National-Liberation Army), but their ranks are of Yugoslavian Partisan Army. How is possible this?

The model of the ranks worn from them, are that used from 12.1942 to 04.1943 (see "Partisan Warfare 1941-1945", p.36). How is possible for them on the end of 1944, to use a rank model of 1942-43?

Regards,

Artan

I am not shure that I understand your question Artan. Are partisans on the picture Albanian partisans or Yugoslavian partisans ?

Hi Sasha,

They are albanian (not from Kosovo but from Albania). I know two of them.

Do you have problems with the first or with the second of my questions?

Regards,

Artan

I am asking that because you said that picture was taken in Pec, which is in Yugoslavia.

As far as I know, Albanian army has cooperated with Yugoslav army in WWII, but I do not understand why Albanian army officers should or should not have same ranks as Yugoslavian army at the same time when they were in use in Yugoslav army.

Albanian and Yugoslav partisans cooperated, as Sascha said, and some yugoslav units operated on Albanian territory, so it's quite possible that some Albanian unit moved to Yugoslav ground too. Even more likely for officers, perhaps some exchange, training, coordination of actions... I don't know anything about Albanian partisan uniforms and insignia, but it wouldn't be impossible if they "borrowed" something from Yugoslavs.

• 2 months later...

I just read two books about partisan movement in Yugoslavia and Albania. There were indeed several Albanian partisan units (from Albania) that operated on Yugoslav territory - not only in Kosovo, but also in Sandzak (a territory in Bosnia, Serbia and Montenegro, inhabitated mostly by Slavic muslims). Don't bother too much about "obsolete" rank patches. In difficult circumstances of partisan movement and lack of supply, many partisans and even whole units used older rank insignia, and also olther types of caps years after the official design changed. Several higher Yugoslav partisan leaders worked in Albania as instructors or consultants from 1943-44 so it's quite logical Albanians adopted the same or similar rank insignia.

• 5 months later...

These are couple of pics from one of the book I mentioned. Not the best pics and either scans, but since Albanian partisans reference pics are scarce, i added these.

Book is: Nijaz Dizdarević, Albanski dnevnik (Albanian diary), Zagreb 1988, ISBN 86-343-0474-4