News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Yes if it is genuine - Considering that of the crew of about 360, less 15 or so on he Exford, less 40 in the Landing party = about 305 (311 on the ship during the Sydney battle). Muller and all the Officers were awarde the First and Second Class EK. Fifty (50) EK 2nds were awarded to the rest of the crew. There were 129 dead from the battle, and 182 survivors not counting the missing 55 others or 237 total. This man who's boutonniere I have was one of the 50 to be awarded the EK2 (or an Officer), and was not a very long service sailor (no Long Service Medal/cross). Since he lived to 1934 and got the WW1 Honor Cross with swords, he more than likely got the Colonial Badge (1922 Elephant Order) also. Very interesting item. I know one thing, that what ever his last name was, he would of had "-Emden" added to it. Cheers

Edited by army historian

Cladius - I was commenting on the boutonniere. I found this from the Imperial War Museum Catalog: German First World War patriotic 'Victory' medalet (or 'Victory penny', designed to be worn on a watch chain) , number 45 in a series of over a hundred coin-sized pieces in silver, chronicling German naval and military successes, and those of her allies, in the first two years of the First World War. The obverse bears the standard design for the series, a winged figure of Victory holding a flaming sword and victor's laurel wreath crown together with the variant inscription 'GOTT SEGNETE DIE VEREINIGTEN HEERE' ('God hath blessed the allied Armies'). The reverse text commemorates the operations, in the Indian Ocean, of the Imperial German Navy's commerce raider SMS Emden (commanded by Kapitän Karl von Müller) , which was sunk by the Royal Australian Navy cruiser HMAS Sydney on 9 November 1914. The text is translated as 'The glorious activity of the cruiser Emden, 2 August - 9 November 1914'. - Cheers Captain George Albert