News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I just purchased couple of German WW1-era photographs and with them I got a German Cross of Honour (Hindenburg Cross).

After first looking at it, I first took it as a repro, as it had the incorrect ribbon (the Iron Cross one, with only black and white stripes). Now that I looked at it more carefully I start to think it's not a repro. It has little "F & B. L." (the manufacturer) marked on the reverse side.

I got curious, where's the manufacturer's mark abbreviated from? And is the decoration more valuable?

• 4 months later...

Hello. I also agree that this Hindenburg medal is different, not bronze as ordinarily seen. Somewhat fascinates me cause maybe it was used as is, with wrong ribbon? I never seen one with zinc, so perhaps...just being optimistic. Also congratulations, you have, I think, rare type of this cross. Is this maker kind of rare also?

Hello, it's me again. I have questions regarding Hindenburg Cross. I consider myself just beginner? in collecting medals, but generally I am into this cross. First of all, may I ask, I am humble spirit, to Moderater Mr. Dave, if possible, is there special categories, or are these/this type? of Hindenburg Cross made with different material categorized in say, another type or series of Hindenburg? I understand that medals, especially medals made with expensive? materials are to important people but do you know specifically to whom? Thanks for your time.

Hello! I just wanted to inquire about documentation regarding this special? Hindenburg Cross. Just for my knowledge, I might be very wrong but the documentation that are usually with? the cross or medal, are they issued all the same? How about casing? Does the box came the same with the cross? More than that, is this silverish cross for public purposes only, or worn the same manner as the rest of the Hindenburgs?

• 4 months later...

Forgive me for coming in as a newby to posts on this excellent site - It was my understanding that the Honour Cross was generally manufactured from iron with a bronze wash - hence the majority react positive to a magnet - bronze is non magnetic so I would be interested to know if this example reacts in a positive or negative way.

If negative it is indeed fairly scarce in respect of its metallic makeup. I suspect it is an iron example that has lost it's bronze wash - whatever I would be most interested to know the results of its contact with a magnet.

The maker is indeed Funke & Bruninghaus, Ludenscheid.

Regards to all

Brunswick

• 4 weeks later...

Hi tuomaskoivurinne,

I do not consider myself an expert on this subject, but I am keen on German interbellum decorations and stuff.

Alas, I have departed from my collection of Hindenburg Crosses, but I have never helt any so poorly executed as your item.

Elswhere on this forum, there are most informing posts about the subject, showing examples in collections, but this item is unequalled (to my observation).

Dr. Klietmann states, in his standard book "Deutsche Auszeichnungen" (1971), on p.29: As productions' material in advance bronze was adviced, in the meeting of the Reichsministeriums (Departmental Meeting) of the Interior [15-03-1934] a proposal was raised to use steel instead. And thus steel was accepted.

In practice iron [alloy] to be painted in bronze was the outcome.

Your issue seems to be of zinq, or another alloy, and to be of a much later date. I have found no date, from which the Hindenburg Cross could not be claimed nor issued, thus, it may be a late issue.

However; I have no documentation supporting this assumption, and I am worried about the poor finish of your cross, because all Hindenburg Crosses I have held in hand or seen were nicely finished.

So, it might have been a release to a "Johny Come Lately", or taken from a scrap basked of discharged medals and "decorated" with a ribbon afterwards.

For what is is worth to you, ...

Edited by Odulf