News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Here's a really interesting Medal Bar!

Guest Rick Research

MY what sparkling minty fresh ribbons you have, grandma!

And SUCH an... interesting and varied long and yet simultaneously NOT long multiple career is... revealed.

And so... well built.

Well.

So.

[attachmentid=25200]

[attachmentid=25207]

[attachmentid=25213]

Is there an elephant in the room? Where? There!

I think it is a fake.

Note the rare pre-war UberNCO MVO without swords and the fire Long service award and the extra XII LS thrown in-along with a noncombat Ludwig cross (service at home 1916+-although that was ignored) along with the usualy combat awarded MVK3x with crown a Brunswick noncombat medal?

Did Bavarians get the Centennial?

Without the fat catch on the back and the fire award and the extra long service medal I would consider it maybe possible as a senior Bavarian NCO's bar-somebody who was on a Bavarian Division staff or somesuch.

I assume the medal on the end is a regimental commemorative-added to sweeten the deal -usually it's a foreign award.

And honestly, i don't think I have ever seen a Bavarian NCO with an Oldenburg medal-lots of North germans, but few southern ones.

Made in Bavaria perhaps-or Ohio?

Oh-I see Rick has already marked up the thread. Oh well-typed too slow.

Edited by Ulsterman

Guest Rick Research

Mommy! Tell me a story!

When was I worn? Who was I?

[attachmentid=25223]

1) Prussian Iron Cross 2nd Class 1914 on combatant ribbon

2) Bavarian Military Merit Cross 3rd Class with Crown and Swords on WW1 frontline ribbon

3) Bavarian King Ludwig Cross (1917 type)

4) Bavarian Military Merit Cross 3rd Class with Crown and Swords, no wait, there's no swords, just um

5) Bavarian Army 1905 Jubilee Medal

6) Brunswick Ernst August Cross 2nd Class, reversed, color... ummmmm nice ribbon though

7) Oldenburg Friedrich August Cross 2nd Class, scruffulous... ummmm nice ribbon though

8) Bavarian army M1913 Reserve-Landwehr Decoration 2nd Class (average time to earn: 12 years)

9) Bavarian army M1913 XV Years Service Cross

10) Bavarian 1920s 25 Years Volunteer Fire Department Long Service Medal

11) Prussian 1897 Wilhelm I Centenary Medal

12) Austro-Hungarian Kaiser Karl 1917-18 Bronze Bravery Medal on the excruciatingly rare peacetime ribbon

Who was I? When could I have been worn?

The story reads:

I date from 1920 to 1935 at the outside (#10, no Hindenburg Cross), during which period as a Bavarian (#s5, 8, 9) my home state awards were worn before Prussia's. Really. Hmm. I had to be on active military duty in 1905 (#5) so my XV years (#9, then a pinback brooch, but modernized after 1913) can not be EARLIER than that or there would be no #5 for Other Ranks. So how oh how oh how did I earn #8 AFTER #9, between 1906-14... let alone wear "part time" BEFORE "full time?" Oh yes, I was one of the lucky few to get #11 in the Bavarian army, so joined no later than 1896 for THAT... which means in 1913 when #3 was created, in this grade for the rank of Sergeant, after at least 17 years of service I was such an underachiever, oy! I should have been a Vizefeldwebel years past already... and yet I get such an insanely scarce award for merit and me an underachiever like this! A year later, 1914, 18 years in... and STILL only a Sergeant (#2) and not a Feldwebel-Offizierstellvertreter-Feldwebelleutnant. TWO combat awards (#s1, 2) and then OFF to the Rear for me... to get an award supposed to be for people with nothing to show for the war yet (#3). Hmm. THAT must be where I got my Truly Unique "civilian" bravery medal, 1917-18 (#12)-- you think? While volunteering for the fire brigade (#10) on my off-duty military hours. But wait! Did I say TWO wartime combat awards (and the only undocumented civilian bravery medal ever)? Nuhuh! I got awards from Brunswick and Oldenburg TOO. Lots of elderly full/part time underachiever NCOs in the Bavarian army did! Funny how those are so scruffy, innit? Odd how... odd that Brunswick looks. You think it's the Ultra-Rare CAST version with the wiped on finish? Maybe. Maybe... not. And that pin! That catch! That hinge!

File under: FICTION. :shame: What a terrible read this one is!!!

Guest Rick Research

I agree. Ditch the Fruitloops bird. I much preferred Tom "Jellybabies?" Wuzzisname Doctor Who as the Evil Sorcerer in the last cheesy remake of "Sinbad" as your avatar. (Ras-who?).

Actually, I have an "L" on my forehead. It's a backwards L, made by ... well, that's another story.

Hmmm, civil disobedience eh?? Hmmmmmm.

These monstrosities seem to all come from germany. I'm guessing that those massive piles of ribbon that came out of a couple of shops 2 years back have found their way into some very industrious hands.