News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all,

Just to ask a question related to this topic which I have not yet been able to figure out. The Saxony Albert Order had to add-ons of swords, crown and wreath. Like other states, I assume swords meant a wartime award and a crown an award for extra merit. But the wreath has got me stumped. Anyone care to inform me why some examples of the order have the wreath and others don't?

Thanks very much,

Matthew

Also, the crown is an integral part for all grades above Knight's Cross (Grand Cross, Commander 1st and 2nd Class, and Officer's Cross). It is only the Knight 1st Class where there is a version with and without crown. I think there is a special class (Sonderstufe) of the Grand Cross where the breast star is in gilt and has a silver crown, but I am not overly familiar with higher grade awards like this.

So as a Saxon officer would move up the ranks, he could get:

• Knight 2nd Class (SA3b / AR2) as a Leutnant/Oberleutnant
    • Knight 1st Class (SA3a / AR1) as a Hauptmann/Rittmeister or Major
    • Crown to the Knight 1st Class (SA3aKr / AR1mK) as a Hauptmann/Rittmeister or Major who already had the Knight 1st Class
    • Officer's Cross (SA3 / AO) as an Oberstleutnant or Oberst
    • Commander 2nd Class (SA2b / AC2) as an Oberst or Generalmajor
    • Commander 1st Class (SA2a / AC1) as a Generalleutnant
    • Grand Cross (SA1 / AG ) as a Generalleutnant or General

[the first abbreviation is the standard Prussian/German abbreviation; the 2nd is the Saxon abbreviation found in Saxon rank lists and on cases for Saxon awards]

Saxons often skipped the Crown to the Knight 1st Class and/or the Officer's Cross, and sometimes went straight from the Knight 1st Class to the Commander 2nd Class. This is because they often received the Merit Order instead. This is similar to a Prussian alternating between the Red Eagle and the Crown Order, but Prussia seemed more regular than Saxony in this.

For example, Otto von Tettenborn received his Knight 1st Class on 21.4.02 as a Major, the Crown to the Knight 1st Class on 16.3.03 while still a Major, the Officer's Cross on 23.5.08 as an Oberst, the Commander 2nd Class on 24.5.11 while still an Oberst (he was promoted to Generalmajor on 23.9.11), the Commander 1st Class with Crown and Swords on 15.9.15 as a Generalleutnant, and the Grand Cross with Swords on 2.8.17 while still a Generalleutnant (char. Gen.d.Inf. on 11.2.18). He received the Knight 1st Class of the Merit Order on 23.5.05 as an Oberstleutnant, the Commander 2nd Class of the Merit Order on 13.9.12, and the Commander 1st Class with Swords of the Merit Order on 4.8.16.

Adolf von Carlowitz received the SA3a on 20.4.01 as a Major, the SA3aKr on 11.9.03 as a Major, the SA3 on 24.5.07 as an Oberst, the SA2b on 24.5.10 as an Oberst, the SA2a on 15.1.14 as a Generalleutnant, and the SA1X on 11.5.17 as a General der Infanterie. He received the SV3a on 6.8.04 as an Oberstleutnant, the SV2b on 23.5.12 as a Generalmajor, and the SV2aX on 2.2.15 as a Generalleutnant.