News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Exceptional 7 Bar Group

This splendid group has medals from three wars. Sudan - Boer War - and WW1.

The medals are from left : The Queen's Sudan Medal ; Queen's South Africa Medal : King's South Africa Medal ;

WW1 Star ; War Medal ; Victory Medal ; Khedives Medal for Sudan.

I will go into further detail lower down.

CLICK TO ENLARGE

Sudan has always been a difficult place to administer - particularly since it was under Egyptian rule. Every foreigner

to a Sudanese was known as a 'Turk'.

In 1882 the Egyptian Governement sent an army of 10,000 men under Hicks Pasha to restore order - this walked right into an ambush and all were

slaughtered. General Gordon was asked to return to Khartoum - capital of Sudan - as Governor General, to try and bring back peace -

however, it was not to be. A Mahdi of great power had taken control, Mahomed had gathered a large army and Gordon's forces

were totally inadequate. Mahdi's had risen in the past - the title means interpreter - or, go-between for Moslems. However, this had

become something on a much greater scale.

Despite the efforts of the British to reach Khartoum and save Gordon, it was not to be. He died on the steps of his HQ - and I have actually

seen the remains - I understand that it has now been destroyed, but Will can tell us ?

The result of this was that Britain retreated and the Mahdi and his men remained in control. However, the wealth of Sudan was

needed by Egypt and in 1897 four British Regiments , a fleet of river boats and a large number of Egyptians, advanced into Sudan.

One of the British Regiments was the famous Cameronians - the only single battalion Regiment in the Army, until 1897 when

a second battalion was formed. Lord Kitchener was the Commanding General and his plans were well thought out.

The first encounter was the Mahdist fort at The Atbara. This was a massive fortress and and a solid barrier to the advance on

Khartoum. The Fort was stormed and captured and after re-organising, the Army continued it's advance on Khartoum.

Strangely, the British Medal was not given Bars - however, the Khedive's silver medal given to British troops does have bars.

These are shown for this group as The Atbara and Khartoum. However , this is how the Egyptians knew the City. The actual

battle was fought at Omdurman - which is on the opposite bank from Khartoum.

After Omdurman the Mahdist threat ceased to exist - although, in following years others did attempt new uprisings - by then

we had a simple solution - we executed them before they got out of control.

I will deal with the Boer War pair and the WW1 trio as we go through the medals.

CLICK TO ENLARGE

The Badge of the Cameronians.

I do have photos showing the naming for these - probably easier if I list each campaign

and his rank.

SUDAN - Private. Cameronians.

QSA & KSA - Corporal. Cameronians

1915 Star. - Squadron Sergeant Major. Botha's Mounted Rifles. German South West Africa.

War & Victory. - Sergeant Major. South Africa Service Corps.

He died about 20 years ago - in his 90's.

Hi Mervyn,

The original palace seems to have been destroyed after the fall of Khartoum.

The meaning for the word Mahdi in Sudan varies from the "chosen one" to the "guided one".

The Khalifa, or successor to the Mahdi, banned people from living in Khartoum and this lead to the rapid and unplanned expansion of Omdurman, the effects can still be seen today.

The Battle of Omdurman is known as the Battle of Kerrari to the Sudanese. It is named after the series of hills which is quite a distance outside Omdurman.

There is a monument erected by the Government to commemorate the 100th annerversary of the battle but it is difficult to access the area due to military installations surrounding the area.

I am in Khartoum and will be transferred back here permanently soon.

I have been awarded an Order by the Government of Sudan which I will be receiving soon and I hope to be in South Africa this week.

Edited by sabrigade

Congrats on your award. Do you know what it is yet?

Mervyn, that is one impressive medal bar. That soldier saw a lot of action. Thank you for sharing it with us. Is there a way to obtain his battle record? It would be cool to see what he did during WW1.

Mervyn,

A nice grouping of medals, and especially nice to see the mix of Biritsh Imperial campaign medals together with the later South African campaign trio for the Great War.

However, would here point out that the medal group cannot be to a Cameronian, or the Cameronians, as that 'Rifles Rehiment' regiment never served in the reconquest of the Sudan.

Presumably the medals you ahve there are those of 2864 Private Harry Dodds 1st Battalion Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders (prior to 1881 the 79th Highlanders), whereas the Cameronians who were the 26th Foot prior to 1881 became the 1st Battalion Scottish Rifles (Cameronians) in 1881. Confusing perhaps to the layman because of the simialrities - but a source of sure friction to amongst members and followers of the respective different regiments if they were mislabelled ..................

If not already sourced, I can advise that the service papers of Harry Dodds are extant at The National Archives, and can be accessed on-line at the findmypast genealogical website.

Dodds was not a Scot - he hailed form Yorkshire and served a totals of 12 year between January 1892-1904 - having joined on a short service engagement of 7 years with the colours and 5 years on the Army Reserve - and hence well short of qualifying time for a military long service and good conduct medal

His surname is unique on the medal roll of the Cameron Highlanders for the Reconquest of the Sudan campaign.

As information.

Yours aye,

Mark

Mike,

If not already accessed, you can view online at the Ancestry website the service papers for George Samson - they are however in the damaged series, so some information is missing and or damaged / ilegible - however still worth getting a copy of.

In summation George, a native Scotsman form Ayrshire, he attested for the British Army - and service with the Cameron Highlanders on 4 May 1897. At the time of his enlistement he claimed to be 20 years of age and was by 'Trade' a Butcher

Important: On the Camerons Sudan Medal roll there is only one private soldier with the surname SAMPSON or it's variants. However his correct surname SAMSON is recorded on his extant (damaged) service papers

As information.

Mark