Gentlemen,

Here is ribbon bar I bought very recently.

Given that the medals on this ribbon bar span from at least 1897-1918 is it safe to assume that the blue ribbon represents the Prussian 25 year service decoration?

I may be incorrect in thinking this but without seeing the medal bar how does one tell if the blue ribbon is for 9, 15 or 25 years service? :wacky:

Best wishes

Matt

Hi Matt,

It is theoretically possible that it is a 20 year service cross if he joined in 1897 and was awarded the three merit medals in 1914/1915, and died soon after. This would explain the lack of a hindenburg cross. However, it is far more likely that it is a 25 year service cross, especially since war years counted double. He might have been a recalled officer, especially since there are no colonial medals. And in answer to your last question, I don't know how to tell the years of service just by the ribbon.

Regards

Matthew

The ribbons are all the same, so no chance... unless the combination "speaks".

This could be either a NCO's bar with XV cross, or a XXV cross, probably 1920 awarded to an officer or to a NCO... unlikely to be a pre-WW1 XXV cross, as those usually come with a RAO4.