News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Distinguished Brethren

wm5806

After some messages regarding the last portrait photograph I posted, I thought you might enjoy another!

This distinguished and senior Brother is wearing the regalia of a Past Provincial Junior Grand Warden in the old Province of Kent (before it split into East and West Kent, I think in 1981). My only information is that it dates from around or after 1897, as he's wearing a jewel for HM Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee (which also has the bar for the special meeting in the Royal Albert Hall. The Festival Steward's jewel of 1892 for the Royal Masonic Benevolent Institution is also at the very bottom of his collection. There is also a Royal Arch Past Principal's breast jewel top-right.

The jewel at the top of his collection is one of the 'special', pre-regulation Centenary jewels for Union Lodge of Margate.

If anyone recognises his other jewels I would love to hear from them.

[attachmentid=25573] [attachmentid=25574]

Well, here's another one (although it may have been posted in another part of this forum), a Provincial Grand Deacon from Warwickshire.

See how many jewels you can identify...

Just love the detail on his collar!

[attachmentid=25610] [attachmentid=25611]

My best guesses for the PrGD (Warks) jewels:

1 Past Master's jewel - which Lodge?

2 Past Master's jewel - which Lodge?

5 Past Master's jewel - which Lodge?

6 Combined Charity jewel ('Duke of Sussex')

8 Possibly a PM jewel - which Lodge?

9 Royal Masonic Institute for Girls - Festival Steward 1904

11 Knights' Templar Centenary jewel

13 Royal Masonic Institute for Boys - Festival Steward 1902

14 Royal Masonic Benevolent Institution - Festival Steward 1903

15 Royal Masonic Institute for Girls - Festival Steward 1901

16 Royal Masonic Institute for Boys - Festival Steward 1905

17 Royal Masonic Institute for Boys - Festival Steward 1898

18 HM Queen Victoria Diamond Jubilee jewel (1897)

19 Quatuor Coronati Correspondence Circle

Hope you can fill in the blanks?

[attachmentid=25667]

• 2 months later...
    • 2 months later...

I collect mainly Imperial German royalty postcards, but occasionally something else catches my eye.

Here are two distinguished Masons I ran across....................

The Duke of Connaught

IPB Image

Edited by Mike Dwyer

• 1 year later...

Bonjour,

Here's a commanding Scottish gentleman - is he wearing Masonic medals ?

(Pray excuse the ignorance of the uninitiated...)

ScottishRite.jpg

Medals detail ; any idea what they could be ?

ScottishRiteMedals.jpg

Sporran details :

ScottishRiteSporran.jpg

Cheers !

Jerome

Hi Jerome

Thanks for the photograph - very nice - but I'm not convinced that the medals are masonic.

There are two reasons for this: firstly, I don't recognise them although Scottish medals are different to English, nor do they have any obvious Masonic symbols; secondly, I wouldn't expect him to be wearing Masonic medals if he's not wearing the rest of his Masonic regalia (apron and, in Scotland, a sash as well).

The crest on the sporran looks more like a clan emblem to me, but I'm no expert.

Are there any other members of the list with knowledge of Scottish clan emblems?

Regards

Richard

Hi Jerome

Thanks for the photograph - very nice - but I'm not convinced that the medals are masonic.

There are two reasons for this: firstly, I don't recognise them although Scottish medals are different to English, nor do they have any obvious Masonic symbols; secondly, I wouldn't expect him to be wearing Masonic medals if he's not wearing the rest of his Masonic regalia (apron and, in Scotland, a sash as well).

The crest on the sporran looks more like a clan emblem to me, but I'm no expert.

Are there any other members of the list with knowledge of Scottish clan emblems?

Regards

Richard

One of the medals he is wearing is a Primrose League badge. The Primrose League was founded in 1883 as a organisation for propogating the ideas of conservatism and to give it a wide grass roots appeal. It ceased to exist in the 1990s

Paul

MANY THANKS Paul, Richard and Ulsterman !

(I hope the objectives of the Primrose League, whatever they may have been, won't create :violent:with the other distinguished gentlemen featured in this thread ...)

Cheers ! :cheers:

Jerome

• 2 weeks later...