News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WWII German Officer with Deutsche Dogge

WE see lots of German Shepherds, some Malinois, a few Dobermans and an airedale here or there, but I haven't seen many Deutsche Dogge with their owners. For that reason, I HAD to have this picture.

Note that this dog is what the modern Great Dane -used- to look like, powerful, heavy, muscular and well balanced before the show dog people mucked them all up.

Now that is one powerful looking dog!

Yes! It most certainly was a powerful dog. It was used for hunting boar and as a guard dog. There are some really awesome paintings in several museums of Danes. They were ofter referred to as the the "Danish Hunting Hound" in older manuscripts.

That is a great photo. I wonder if the dog was really that big or if the people were that small?

Yep. He is THAT big. Think indoor pony big, probably 36 - 40 inches at the withers/shoulders.

Why do I imagine him guarding the back door to the butcher shop?

Nice photo, thank you for sharing.

Do you feel the depiction on this pin is the same ?

--dj--Joe

That is a BEAUTIFUL pin! Where did you find it? I make leather dog collars, I love that border!!

Yes. That is the same breed of dog. The dog that I posted does not have as much flews (the floppy jowls hanging from the top of the mouth) as the one in your pin, but it is indeed the same dog breed.

Danes were not commonly the butcher or the midden dogs. Those were typically smaller bulldog or mixed type dogs. I have a good deal of documentation about them as they are progenitor of the pit bull terrier breed, my heart breed of dog. The butcher or midden dogs can be traced back to the middle ages accurately.

As to guarding the back door, that would be something that this dog would do. They are a guardian breed.

I picked the pin up at a militaria show a few years back.

The organization is still going strong.

http://www.ddc1888.de/

Somewhere online I have seen another pin for sale. Slightly different wording. If I run across it I will let you know.

--dj--Joe

Please do!!! Maybe I can convince my husband to buy me a new pretty? lol