News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Afghan-War-era research

I have just heard from my research magician that it may, in some cases, now be possible to research Soviet Afghan War awards. FYI.

Is this new? I haven't researched any Afghan War awards (though I'd like to!) but I have been able to get research on awards from that time frame. Digger Doug has a nice set that meets that criteria...

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2940

Dave

Guest Rick Research

Not TOO new-- Dave's Sinister Network? came through for my Divisional Commander a year ago:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1937

And Doug's COMBAT award of an OSH3 with an ORS to a commissioned helicopter gunner:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2940

already qualify.

I was amazed that anything that recent came back. (OURS wouldn't, methinks.) Heck, I was amazed that They Who can Walk Through Walls Unseen? could get that 1968 Czech invasion ciatation that just arrived.

But our problem (so far) hasn't been Afghan War stuff we have kicking around WANTING research...

it's not having anything this recent on the market. These are recipients still in the prime of life, with nobody cleaning out apartment contents as they join the Great Army.

I'd cheerfully collect "adviser" groups from Korea to China to Cuba, the Middle East, Africa... Afghanistan.

But if anybody's SELLING any groups like those, I haven't seen any... since 5 years ago last month when I snapped up mine. :ninja:

Not TOO new-- Dave's Sinister Network? came through for my Divisional Commander a year ago:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1937

And Doug's COMBAT award of an OSH3

Yes, but this may be becoming more common, I think/hope. Watch this space, or one nearby.

(Coming attractions?)

Edited by Ed_Haynes

:Cat-Scratch: Ed: Branching out again? :cheers:

Nope, Afghan has always been "core", though usually more PRRA than "pforen" stuff. Part of South Asia after all. :P

Yet, as we all know, phaleristics is a tree of endless and never-ending branches.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

And as far as post GPW awards go, I have citations for a Suvorov 3rd and a Kutuzov 2nd for Hungary in 1956 that I plan to post this weekend time permitting. The Kutuzov belonged to General Vasil'ev who was military attache to Afghanistan in the early 1930's and spent 1938 - 1943 in prison. He began the GPW in prison and finished commanding a division. Stay tuned!

Doug

Who printed that casualty roll?

Voenizdat Military Publishers in 1995. It is a really neat book showing pictures and a short bio on each KIA, identical in format to the Hero of the Soviet Union two red books.

Seems the Soviet "Purple Heart" came to be a Red Star through the course of the war. Early-war KIAs didn't get anything or maybe a Combat Service Medal, but if the guy died from anything other than illness, he was almost guaranteed a Red Star. SOOOO, if you have a late issue RS with a booklet and nothing else listed, you have a good chance he could be in this book.