News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Major-General T Dickman

Alex K

Hi all, does anyone know what his medal entitlement was?

So far I understand that he received

British Order of the Bath,

French Legion D'H,

French Croix de Guerre

Belgian Order of Leopold,

US Distinguished Service Medal

Italy, Order of the Crown,

Panama La Solidaridad.

One's in red don't appear to be on his bar, leaving 2 unidentified, could they be early US campaign medals?

any help much appreciated.

Thanks Alex K

The medal with the blue and yellow ribbon is the 1898 Spanish Campaign Medal (US Army-- the Navy used a red and yellow ribbon). The one with the yellow and green ribbon is the 1918 Spanish War Service Medal. Interestingly, for the US Army, if you earned the 1898 medal, you were not eligible for the 1918 one-- It was reserved for troops (mostly Army National Guard) who served IN THE UNITED STATES, BUT NOT OVERSEAS during the Spanish-American War. Apparently, it was specifically forbidden to be awarded both.

Edited by Doc

US:

• Distinguished Service Medal, Army
    • Indian Wars Medal, Army
    • Spanish Campaign Medal, Army
    • Army of Cuban Occupation Medal, Army
    • Philippine Campaign Medal, Army (Philippine Insurrection)
    • China Campaign Medal, Army (China Relief Expedition)
    • World War I Victory Medal (bars should be Aisne, Aisne-Marne, Champagne-Marne, Defensive Sector, Meuse-Argonne, St. Mihiel)

Foreign:

• Croix de Guerre with Palm, France
    • Grand Officer of the Order of Leopold I, Belgium
    • Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath, Great Britain
    • Commander of the Legion of Honor, France
    • Grand Officer of the Order of the Crown, Italy
    • Medal of La Solidaridad, Panama

In post-World War I photos, he is shown with 12 ribbons, so at least one of these wasn't worn.

Your ribbon ID is not right. The first ribbon should be the Indian Campaign Medal, which was an all-red ribbon until being changed in December 1917 to add two black stripes. #2 is the Spanish Campaign Medal, whose blue and yellow stripes blend together due to the color shifting (if you look closely, there is a slight color difference toward the center. #3 should be the Philippine Campaign Medal - again, the blue of the wide center stripe and the narrow edge stripes is color-shifted to be lighter than the red stripes. #4 is probably the Army of Cuban Occupation Medal, whose blue center and edge stripes are color-shifted in the B&W photo. #5 is likely then the China Campaign Medal, with the blue and yellow stripes blended together.

RibbonIndianCamMedal.jpgRibbonSpanishCamMedal.jpgRibbonPhilippineCamMedal.jpg

RibbonCubanOccMedal.jpgRibbonChinaCamMedal.jpg

Here is a grainy photo with the 12 ribbons I referred to.

It looks like the first seven are his American awards - the DSM, the five campaign medals and the Victory Medal with its stars. Then comes on row three the Criox de Guerre with Palm, followed by the Order of Leopold I with its rosette and band.

Row four appears to be the plain ribbon of the KCB, followed by the ribbon with rosette and band of the Commander of the Legion of Honor, and then the Order of the Crown of Italy. So the Panamanian Medalla de la Solidaridad is not worn.

Hi guys fantastic information, it's amazing that a B/W image can be so misleading, particularly when you look at his foreign awards which would appear to match the different levels of grey. I was of course completely wrong in my assumptions, and whilst he was awarded those foreign awards, they do not appear on the ribbon bar photo I posted.

much appreciated.

best regards

Alex K