News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

First Award of Stalin: RSFSR Order of Red Banner № 400

Still beautiful and practically in mint condition.

I wonder if this enamel chips are consequences of wearing.

I have serious doubts that Stalin had ever worn this order (or any other order for that matter)…

All his famous portraits are purely propagandistic pieces.

Let’s take a look at these fantasy pieces ;)

This № 400 was issued to Stalin in 1919 (most likely in spring) for defense of Petrograd (a.k.a. Leningrad, a.k.a. St. Petersburg). Here comes original text of nomination.

В минуту смертельной опасности, когда, окруженная со всех сторон тесным кольцом врагов, Советская власть отражала удары неприятеля, в минуту, когда враги рабоче-крестьянской революции в июле 1919 года подступили к Красной Горке, в этот тяжелый для Советской России час назначенный Президиумом ВЦИК на боевой пост Иосиф Виссарионович СТАЛИН своей энергией и неутомимой работой сумел сплотить дрогнувшие ряды Красной Армии. Будучи сам в районе боевой линии, он под боевым огнем личным примером воодушевлял борющихся за Советскую Республику.

В ознаменование всех заслуг по обороне Петрограда, а также самоотверженной его дальнейшей работы на Южном фронте ВЦИК постановил наградить И.В. СТАЛИНА орденом КРАСНОГО ЗНАМЕНИ».

Later this № 400 was exchanged (the reason is unknown) to Order of Red Banner of RSFSR № 3. He got his second Order of Red Banner (by "numerous requests of toiling masses") in 1930 (second awarding RSFSR order № 19) and third (for long service) in 1944 (third awarding USSR order № 1361).

Relative to what Stalin did or did not receive, when new busts of the WW2 Soviet Marshals were created in the early 1990s for display in the new museum in Moscow's Victory Park, one of the Generalissimo was also cast and installed with all of the others. Not a bad likeness although it seems to me that it's a little more idealized than the busts done during his lifetime!

I apologize in advance if my photos do not come out clearly; while no stranger to digital photography, trying to meet the 200K size restriction has driven me not quite crazy but certainly to the Standart vodka earlier than usual! FYI: on the medal bar are two Orders of Lenin, three Red Banners, 20th Anniversary of the Red Army, Defense of Moscow...

Regards

Edited by Mathomhaus

Thanks Mathomhaus!

Better quality photos of this bust for our colleagues ;)

Bol'shoi spasibo! When I visited Victory Park, I soon realized that I had only one memory card with me; as a result, by the time I got to the museum's main courtyard, I had to limit myself to taking only one or two photos each of things like busts and flags. Ever since that day, I never go anywhere w/o seeing that I have a fistfull of memory cards in my camera bag.

Regards

Bol'shoi spasibo! When I visited Victory Park, I soon realized that I had only one memory card with me; as a result, by the time I got to the museum's main courtyard, I had to limit myself to taking only one or two photos each of things like busts and flags. Ever since that day, I never go anywhere w/o seeing that I have a fistfull of memory cards in my camera bag.

Regards

Всегда пожалуйста! :cheers:

Regards,

Nick

• 2 months later...