News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Father and Son groups - with a question ?

Two nice groups - WW1 and WW2 to a Father and son - both are South African.

There is a problem with one of the groups - however, rather then me telling you - you tell me ?

Have a close look at both groups - only one has a problem - and, a clue, it is not with the medal

stampings. I will give the answer - and proof - tomorrow.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_06_2012/post-6209-0-60097800-1340027939.jpgCLICK TO ENLARGE

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_06_2012/post-6209-0-23670400-1340028696.jpgCLICK TO ENLARGE

This is the back of the WW1 Star. He was with the Kimberley Regiment and the Star was for the

German South West Campaign. His pair were probably for East Africa.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_06_2012/post-6209-0-33626400-1340204373.jpgCLICK TO ENLARGE

Sorry for the delay - problems with the server being down.

He was Sth, African - and all of our medals from WW2 are named. He was serving with the Sth.African Air

Force and was apparantly denied overseas posting because of the nature of his job. He seems to have reached

the rank of Sgt. Major.

After the War a lot of the men joined the MOTHS - our equivalent of the British Legion. For service

within SA you received the War Medal and the Africa Service Medal - his named ones. However, many

people felt a 'little' left out and added another pair - usually the 39/45 and the Africa Star. They usually

obtained British issue - which were un-named - and no-one was really the wiser - you don't ask to see

the reverses.

The person has now 'passed-on' - and in no way am I making any comment about his honourable service

- however, we are a militaria forum and this is something members need to be aware of. It was a fairly

common practise in a number of Countries to enhance your awards.

I was told recently of the widow of a South African ex-serviceman who discovered after his death that the medals he had worn on so many parades were in fact named to someone else. There was evidently no doubt that he had served during World War II, so it was assumed he had lost his orginal medals and replaced them with another set, perhaps bought at a local second-hand shop. Since the medals did not have her husband's name on them, she no longer wanted them and they ended up in the hands of a medal collector.

Brett