News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello,

I have hunted through the Internet and can find medal books on all things Commonwealth but very little on German medals.

I would like to know if there is something akin to The Tokin Medal Yearbook but for German medals.

I do not care particulaly if it is written In German or English .

Failing that could someone recommend me a book on Imperial German medals .

thanks I would appreciate any guidance and help the members are prepared to offer.

regards

Chris

There is a price guide in German that is revised every couple of years by Jorg Nimmergut called "Deutsche Orden und Ehrenzeichen 1800-1945". This is known to collectors as the OEK. This is strictly an illustrated listing of awards with prices in Euros. It is usually available on the German ebay site. There is also a separate ribbon catalog.

Nimmergut has also published a huge 5 volume work in large format hard cover that has a great deal of information in German on each award. This is very expensive with used sets starting around $1000.

You can sometimes find copies of a reprint of Hessenthal & Schreiber's "Die Ehrenzeichen dei Deutschen Reich". This has a few black & white photos and extensive information on the medals. It is limited to medals and decorations (no orders).

In English, the best available is Neal O'Connors 7 volume "Aviation Awards of Imperial Germany in World War I", which is limited in scope to the 1914-18 period. The 1st 2 volumes are hard to find and expensive. Volumes 3 - 7 show up individually on ebay from time to time.

There are other books that focus on a particular award or state but, these are the best general references. Unfortunately, they can take considerable time and expense to round up.

Good luck

Edited by Beau Newman

I agree with you Marcin, it's a very good book.

It's important to have some general books and more specific books in your library. Indeed if you collect medals from Baden, you need to have all Baden's book+ nimmergut's books. So first of all you need to know what to collect.

Christophe