News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Weird German-Finnish Medal bar with Liberty Cross

Hello fellows,

this weird medal bar came across my eyes...as fas as I am concerned the Finnish Liberty Cross does not fit to the medal bar of a soldier who got the Hindenburg cross. The Finnish Liberty cross is a civilian one but is fixed to a military bar.

Am I right?

Or are there other opinions?

Cheers

Detlef

Hallo Detlef,

please have a look at the award documents which are attached to this bar !

I mean that I´ve read that it is awarded for military merit an then the cross

doesn´t match to the document which is in quite poor conditions and the

photo isn´t wellmade and difficult to read.

Regards

Andreas

Hallo Andreas.

Danke.

I do know that Pete made a list of soldiers who faught in Finland 1918. I could not find the name "Hermann Grössle" or "Hermann Größle" in that list.

Is someone out there familiar with this name? Is he mentioned in rank lists? Is the name documented in military reports?

In the document it is mentioned that the guy got a Liberty Cross No. 3 - that is ok. The cross on the bar is also a third class Liberty cross - but just for civilians - could it be, that the two crosses have been mixed up?

Also the ribbon bar of the Liberty cross is wrong - it should not be red-white, but yellow-white...we all now that the Liberty crosses have been manufactured either in Germany or Sweden...could it be that the cross was just mixed up by the producer himself? Wrong cross and even wrong ribbon...

But if it is the real cross on the real bar with the real document...it should be a unique group.

Detlef

Very strange bar :blush: , The Liberty Cross should be before the Com Medal and it is unusual with a Non combat Cross with EKII and combat Hindenburg Cross.

Where is this auction ? It would be very interesting to see the paperwork , since third class indicate an officer.

Weird is the name :cheeky:

Christer

Thanks Detlef,

Yes the paperwork looks perfectly alright to me , and the 14 JägerBtl was in Finland 1918 so everything seems to match up exept the name Grössle and why he got a NC Liberty cross ?? But it was a turbulent time and a lot of strange things happened.

:unsure:

Christer

OK Christer.

MAYBE: Grössle could have been a doctor / surgeon or he worked in a kind of headquarters...

A lot of Finnish bars do have Liberty crosses w/o swords besides Liberty crosses w swords...so it could have been possible...

Yes I think this is a perfect good one :cheers:

I have almost all of the names for 3rd class wo swords 1918 but missing this one so its great to find a unknown one.

I only had one German with 3rd class Non combat earlier and thats Edgar Alfred Jung who was an Attaché in Finland.

Nice find

OK Christer.

MAYBE: Grössle could have been a doctor / surgeon or he worked in a kind of headquarters...

A lot of Finnish bars do have Liberty crosses w/o swords besides Liberty crosses w swords...so it could have been possible...

This is not possible, than there must be written Hilfsarzt, Unterarzt, Assistenzarzt !!!

You don´t find him in the german Ehrenrangliste because they don´t list d. R.

Regards

Andreas

Strangly enough, Größle isn't mentioned in the battalion history of JägBtl 14 either (even though supposedly all officers are listed there)...

Personally, I do not think that the document is a fake. This auction article is not that popular in Germany to just fake it with a fantasy name.

Who has access to the Bundesarchiv of the Ostsee-Division. Maybe there can be found sth?

Or very near for an explanation could be that Größle was not in the Jäger Batallion 14, but in another one...how much written mistakes can exist in such turbulent times?