News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi,

I have a nice picture with some commanders, but I need some help with Nr. 2 and 6.

;) Thanks and best regards,

Jens

1) Major Paul Thümmel (Kommandeur des Inf.-Rgt. 144)

2) Oberst Alberti (?) (? des Inf.-Rgt. 29)

3) Generalleutnant Oskar Theodor Haevernick (Kommandeur 223. Inf.-Div.)

4) Hauptmann Nobert (?)

5) Oberst Bruno Modrow (Kommandeur 67. Inf.-Brig.)

6) Major Wülfing (?) (? des Inf.-Rgt. 173)

Jens,

I think you have a photo of the commanders of the 223. ID around March 1918.

The 67. Inf. Brig. had three regiments assigned to it at that time- IR 144, IR 173 and Ersatz Inf. R. 29.

The Führer of IR 144 was Major Thümmel as you note, and Major Hermann Wülfing was Führer of IR 173. Oberst Wilhelm Alberti (*15.05.1853) retired from Gren. R. 5 as commander of the first battalion on 24.04.1904 "m. Charakter als Oberstlt." He was called back during the war and served as commander of Ers. Inf. R. 29 as noted in the Ehrenrangliste on p. 703. I cannot identify the Hauptman, though he must have been the divisional adjutant.

A very nice photograph and we are lucky that someone took the time to add the names on the back!

Andy

Hi Andy,

... I think you have a photo of the commanders of the 223. ID around March 1918.

The 67. Inf. Brig. had three regiments assigned to it at that time- IR 144, IR 173 and Ersatz Inf. R. 29.

The Führer of IR 144 was Major Thümmel as you note, and Major Hermann Wülfing was Führer of IR 173. Oberst Wilhelm Alberti (*15.05.1853) retired from Gren. R. 5 as commander of the first battalion on 24.04.1904 "m. Charakter als Oberstlt." He was called back during the war and served as commander of Ers. Inf. R. 29 as noted in the Ehrenrangliste on p. 703. I cannot identify the Hauptman, though he must have been the divisional adjutant. ...

... great - thank you a lot! :jumping:

... A very nice photograph and we are lucky that someone took the time to add the names on the back!

... exaclty! :whistle:

Thanks again and best regards, :cheers:

Jens

I can't find any Noberts. I think it could be Hptm.d.R. Paul Nobach, who was a reserve officer in the reserve of GR 89. As a north German (Mecklenburg regiment and Hamburg reporting station), he would be a little out of place in this south German division (one Baden and two Lorraine regiments), but by 1918 old affiliations might not mean as much. The two Lorraine regiments were probably mostly made up of men from the more populous Rhineland by this point anyway.

Hi Dave,

thanks a lot, maybe possible!? But when I compare the letters, I think the letter "t" (in Hauptmann) and the last letter

in the name are the same!?? But not for sure - so I keep the name Nobach in my mind! Thanks a lot for your great help!

Best regards, :cheers:

Jens