News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi

I know there was a K&W decoration in Hannover (found that out at medalnet.net, thank you Andreas) I was wondering, although I do realize it s not exactly imperial German, if anyone of you would know where to find out more about its history (since when was it awarded) and escpecially the recipients of this decoration

Thanks

David

Hello David:

Dr. v. Hessenthal u. Schrieber list the following:

482. Gold medal awarded 1840-1843, marked "BRANDT F.", 50mm, name of recipient engraved on rim

483. Silver medal awarded 1840-1843, marked "BRANDT F.", 50mm, "

484. Gold medal awarded 1843-1846, ", ", "

485. Gold medal awarded 1846-1847, marked "FICKENSCHER", ", "

486. Gold medal awarded 1847-1866, maked "BREHMER F.", ", "

Of course there are more details listed regarding design, suspensions, ribbons, etc. Perhaps Wildcard is out there and could provide photos of some of the above-listed pieces. As far as recipients are concerned, perhaps someone out there has Hannoverian Court and State Handbooks from this period which probably list recipients.

I hope that this helps,

Schie?platzmeister

Hi David and thanks for the intro Schie?platzmeister.

Well David, you really know how to get a guy?s attention. In thirty years of collecting (much of it devoted to Hannover), the most spectacular medal I have ever seen would have to be the 1847-1866 Hannoverian large medal for arts and science by Brehmer; and as such, if I had a Holy Grail, this would have to be it - it will never happen. Actually, I have had the good fortune to have seen two and a half examples of this medal. The first was on exhibit at the Bomann Museum in Celle and the others were in the archives at the museum in Hannover. Two and a half? Yes, in Hannover they have a piece of one which was roughly cut in half in a bombing raid during the war. All of these were of the 1847-1866 variety.

As you can see from the data provided by Schie?platzmeister, in terms of size and form, all versions are quite similar. Actually I think, and Hessenthal indicates, that the only differences are with the bust of Ernst August on the obverse; The reverse, consisting of a simple ?F?R KUNST / UND / WISSENSCHAFT, remaining constant. All (of the gold examples) weighed 88 - 90 gr.(!) ; and all examples appear to have had a simple suspension ring run through a pinned ?se and the ribbon was 38 mm. dark or cornflower blue. Being founded in 1843, and as such qualifying as one of the earliest Imperial German arts and science medals, it apparently was not worn at the neck as were the large arts and science medals instituted later by so many other states. Thies/Hapke lists (not by name, but by year) 89 awards, of which ten were post 1866, or exile, awards.

I hope that I have filled in a few gaps; and should you have any other questions, I will do my best to answer them.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Edited by Wild Card

Hi Wild Card.

that is very interesting information. I would still hope to find out if the hanoverian Musikdirektor Philipp Tietz was decorated with the award (that would have been in 1854 or after)

Thanks

David

Hi David,

Unfortunately, the only post 1854 copy of the Hannoverian House & State Handbook that I have is the 1865 edition. While I do not find your man listed in it, that does not necessarily mean that he was not a recipient - he could have died prior to this printing.

Perhaps someone else out there has an edition closer to 1854?

Best wishes,

Wild Card