News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I am trying to get my head around the use of RAD sleevebands.

These were introduced per order of 4.1.39 and 5.3.39, and abolished per order from 29.4.41/7.5/41.

Only the letters H, M, N, O, P, R, S, T W were used.

Some letters were specified for the Westwall, others for the Eastwall.

When I was in Prora (on the former DDR island of Rügen) I visited the museum of the building site, with a 2-dimensional display of the history of these buildings in particular and the uprising of the NSDAP in general.

I was struck by a photo of Hierl visiting Eastern Prussia in company of other RAD dignitaries, all wearing a narrow (unreadable) sleeveband rond the right lower sleeve, according to the type specified to carry (Gothic) letters. In my photo collection I have an original photo of a RAD-man wearing a similiar sleeve band round his right sleeve. As uniforms were issued by the RAD Clothing Offices (Bekleidungsamt) I cannot imagine that these guys all had their wires crossed.

So I asked a well respected author on German uniforms, an he told me that they were all mistaking, the sleevebands should be worn officially on the left cuff.

What is your opinion/knowledge?

Edited by Odulf

• 8 months later...

Odulf,

I have just got a sleave band for I believe a RADwJ lady it has GauOst-Hannover and it looks like it also had -Stab but that has been unpicked at a guess by the lady at the time?

Looking at the other bits and bobs she served 1938/39.

Not much help but they did have Gothic writing?

Regards

Jock:)