News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all,

I've come across a medal bar which strikes me as rather strange. It consists of only a China Colonial Combatant's Medal (no clasps) and the Hindenburg Combatant's cross. Would such a combination be possible? If the man fought in China and in the First World War, how can it be he has no long service award or any bravery or merit medal from World War 1?

Thanks,

Matthew

I see no problem generally....many people served in china as volunteers but not long enough in the army to get a long service medal....and for what he has got the Hindenburg - only god knows....some days in ww1 would have been enough to get it....of course a photo of the bar would help ;-)

I'm not convinced of the first bar. The backing material has been messed with. Note the different colored threads used and the stitching styles. Have you blacklighted it?

Hi Dond,

No, I haven't blacklighted it as the bar is not currently in my possession. The backing material indeed seems to have used two different coloured threads, white on the left and a grey thread (which seems to be original as it blends in more with the backing) on the right. On the other hand, the second bar shown has red stitching which blends in with the backing. What is your opinion of the second bar?

Thanks,

Matthew

The white thread seems to be just around the mount of the Hindenburg Cross. Could it be it was added later by the man himself, bearing in mind that at least 33 years passed between the two awards, or do you think its a more recent add-on, and that there was a different decoration before it?

Matthew

Hi guys,

Just thought you might lke to know that I managed to win the first medalbar shown! :jumping: Hopefully it will be in my hands in a few days, and I can examine it more closely.

Now, I realise i've already asked for this twice :blush: , but knowing no collectors personally i've come to depend a lot on you guys, and the fact that you have far more experience than me gives me confidence. I'm also interested in this small medalbar from Reuss, but once again I've problems about the back. Apart from having what looks like the remainder of a price tag, the ribbons are strangely folded in a rectangle shape rather than in a semicircle. The metal backing plate has two holes in it where I think there should be hooks, and finally in the hole behind the iron cross there is a red ribbon, not a black/white ribbon.

Thank you for your opinions once again!

417982_425567207499277_1276611631_n.jpg

317806_425567230832608_888617196_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting bars...

On a similar note, here's a veteran in 1938 with the EK2 and China Medal. I don't know much about RKB uniforms but his white hatband suggests to me that he may also have served in East Africa. Yet no Hindenburg Cross or Long Service either... suggesting it was possible to have China and Hindenburg without the Long Service too.

uBildrkb3a.jpg

and blurred but closer-

Bildrkb4.jpg

This photo is from the Frankfurt Colonial Archives by the way.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks Chris for that information!

The bar arrived around a week ago and it looks great, with just that small amount of wear and fading to the ribbons that shows it has age. In cases like this, were soldiers got a china medal and a ww1 award such as an ek or a hindenburg cross with no long service award, I think they volunteered for China but then dropped out of the army soon after. Some may have joined up willingly in WW1, but in my case i think the recipient was conscripted towards the end of the war, as he has no ww1 awards

Regards,

Matthew