News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iraqi "Darth Vader" Fedayeen Helmet - original and reproduction

bmsm

Here are two Iraqi Feda'yeen Helmets. One is original and one is a reproduction that was made in Italy and is sold as a reproduction.

The original helmet shells are a white or cream color painted black whereas the reproduction helmet shells are completely black.

The originals are smooth on the inside and have the complete webbing.The webbing in this helmet is a dark green with a black leather sweat band complete with sweat stains. It is my understanding that when issued, the webbing was all black and as it wore out, was replaced with black or green, whichever was available.

The reproductions are rougher on the inside,only have the U.S. suspension assembly and no sweat band.

In the following pictures, the original helmet will have an "O" with the helmet and the reproduction helmet will have a "R" with it.

First picture is the front, right side and back.

The height of original is 8-5/16in. and reproduction is 8-3/16in.

As you can see, there is not much difference in the sizes.

Bob

The badge on the helmet,

Translations: above - Allah (God)

Right: the country, Left: the Leader.

Original Badge. The size is 1.85in. wide and 1.24in. high.

Reproduction badge. The size is 1.74in. wide and 1.32in. high.

Bob

Edited by bmsm

Thanks for posting these Bob. We don't see many Republic militaria images now that Lorenzo is no longer a member.

I recall seeing Iraqi propaganda films before the Second Gulf War with images of burly, handle-bar moustached soldiers marching to the theme of Star Wars. One of the Hussein boys was obviously a fan.

Would you know how much these original helmets are selling for these days?

Gavin

Thanks for posting these Bob. We don't see many Republic militaria images now that Lorenzo is no longer a member.

I recall seeing Iraqi propaganda films before the Second Gulf War with images of burly, handle-bar moustached soldiers marching to the theme of Star Wars. One of the Hussein boys was obviously a fan.

Would you know how much these original helmets are selling for these days?

Gavin

Gavin,

I noticed the last two original helmets on eBay sold for $625.00 buy now and one had 14 bids and sold for $635.00. I have seen them sell for as high as $1200.00 for a really pristine condition one.

Bob

Thanks Bob!! Those reproductions are very good, considering. I would have definitely been tricked had I seen one at a show and did not know what you showed here...

Paul,

I'm glad the pictures helped you out. A little knowledge can save you some money so you do not end up buying a reproduction.

Bob

• 8 months later...

Who is selling the Italian reproductions?

The reproductions were being sold by Franco Cenerelli. I don't know if he still is. I see his reproduction Feda'yeen Helmet Badges for sale

every so often on ebay.

Bob

• 6 months later...