News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

German Cut field grey tunic, Austria-Hungarian rank insignia

Dear fellow collectors,

I got this Austrian field grey tunic of an 2nd Lt of an artillery unit. The confusing thing about it is that the cut of the tunic is typically german!

As an uniform collector of imperial austrian-hungarian tunics, i have to admit, that i have never seen a piece like that.

My theory ist that this 2nd Lt. was within an heavy morter unit which was sent

to the western front and the officer had this tunic taylored like a german exemplar but with austrian rank insignia.

Any ideas/theories are most welcome !

Thank you a lot

Max_von_W

• 4 weeks later...

My theory ist that this 2nd Lt. was within an heavy morter unit which was sent
    to the western front and the officer had this tunic taylored like a german exemplar but with austrian rank insignia.

I like that theory, mainly because my inly Iron Cross document to an Austrian is a man who did just that.

But there was so much contact on the Eastern Front, it may have been an officer attached to a staff....

OR... just like tody when advisors or liason sometimes wear their own country uniform with host country rank... maybe this tunic was worn by a German attached to the Austrians?

I think the possibilities are limitless....

Would love to see more of your stuff!

Hello,

thanks for the reply. The tunic was located in Innsbruck-Austria, and I got it right out of the attic.

I will post some more uniforms/headgear in the austro hungarian section later this week.

(I am actually not a collector of Imperial german stuff...)

I would love to see the iron cross document to an austrian soldier. Could you please post it?

• 2 weeks later...

Chris, thank you for posting the EK-document. It is interesting and confusing at the same time!

An austrian soldier awarded a german decoration by an austrian unit? That is indeed strange.

Charles, I only know about 3 campains were austrian artillery were engaged on the western front.

I havn't ever seen a picture which shows austrians in german cut tunics. I would love to know more

about the history of this very special piece. Since I can 't even say what model this tunic is. (I actually

only collect austrian tunic and headgear...)

Please write if you get to know anything about it.

Best regards

max_v_w