News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Commanders crosses - any idea on dates?

CRBeery

I have recently purchased these two pieces at an antiques show. A dealer had all furniture and these! I am an Imperial German collector so these are out of my area but I am smart enough to recognize what they are. The Italian piece looks to be gold. I was hoping the cases would help to date the pieces.If anyone wants to trade for a nice German PLM let me know!!!

Your Bertrand-made, 3rd Republic Legion of Honor commander likely dates from the 1920s to 1939-1940 though the interior case maker naming is late style. It probably is silver gilt and likely has hallmarks/silver fineness markings on the wreath ties or top ring. Jacob's Court Jewellers of the World details variations in case maker naming usage that narrows the possible time frame.

The Italian Crown commander [Victor Emmanuel III {King of Italy, 29 July 1900 – 9 May 1946} style outer case lid embossing] seems to be from same era -- this jeweler name style with blue ink usually mid-late 1930s. Badge & ribbon ring most likely in gold & usually without hallmarks but sometimes they appear on the small ring at the top of the cross. Date change relationships between use of Cravanzola-Gardino name fully described in Jacob's Court Jewellers of the World.

Thanks for the help. I had not noticed any maker marks on these but I looked at the pinned thread and once I knew what I was looking for I found one single mark on the French piece. It seems to be a boar's head on the bottom wreath tie. It is hard for me to make out as it was struck very deep into the medal. These are really nice pieces to look at. I focus on Imperial German items but I do appreciate the beauty of these.