News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Laurence,

No, the set came from Detlev. Believe it or not, I missed the Friday update at that time, and the set was still available on the following Monday !!! I guess everyone else must a just assumed that it would have already gone. I was gobsmacked when I got the "its yours" message.

I will post the rest when I get home from the office tonight. My favourite piece is the very last ite, just a little thing, but to me the most fascinating ,and probably the rarest.

Unusual to find documents relating to the soldiers wife and her war service as well as his. But there's more. Rudi has a brother, Erich, and Erich is serving in the Army.

Lucky guy, his first letter shows he is serving in the West.

Note that its addressed to her at the Heeres Munitionsamt

Edited by Gordon Williamson

His next letter however, shows him "Im Osten". He mentions receiving a photo and that he will carry it with him as a talisman. He mentions that tomorrow morning they will attack the enemy again.

The talisman didn't bring him luck.

But the records were wrong. Here is Willy's last letter home. Note the date, eleven days after he is posted as missing believed killed. Of course its not so strange with Stalingrad on the point of collapse and in utter chaos.

Strange that in what must have seemed like hell on earth, his biggest worry is not having any Cigarettes.

What makes this last one particularly interesting is that is an "Airmail" letter with the Luftfeldpost stamp. One of the last letters to get out of Stalingrad as the Germans lost their last airfield just a few days after this letter was written.

This group had clearly been kept together by the family after the war. Sad that at some point they must have decided to dispose of it all, especially these letter from the two brothers killed in Stalingrad !

• 3 years later...