News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rare- US Coast Guard Desert Camo Unit Patches

Paul R

I received these two patches from a friend of mine who is assigned overseas. When I was over there back in 2003 and again in 2004, we had no such swag. For this reason, I am asking folks to see what they can find. These are the first.

The "Joe the Camel" patch is for the USCG RAID teams. I was not there on the dates noted on the patch, but it is still a cool one to have.

The second patch is for PATFORSWA(PATrol FORces South West Asia), which was my headquarters unit.

• 1 month later...

Isn't the USCG involved with Combined Maritime Force Task Force 151 conducting counter-piracy operations off of Somalia? That would be an interesting collecting angle, I think for a Coastie...

Here is the Coast Guard's description of what the RAID tems do:

Redeployment Assistance and Inspection Detachment Positions

The current Redeployment Assistance and Inspection Detachment (RAID) Team consists of Coast Guard members deployed with the U.S Army in support of the shipment of materials in and out of the war zones. Their mission is to assist DOD with the safe re-deployment of containerized cargo as well as the storage and segregation of hazardous materials. The Coast Guard's goal is to ensure hazardous material is properly prepared for shipment and for re-entry to U.S. ports. The team moves from one Forward Operating Base to another, making them among the few Coasties that have been that far forward with the US Army in a combat zone.

http://www.uscg.mil/epm/PATFORSWA.asp

The Coast Guard does do anti piracy operations in those areas, but RAID teams dont do that mission.