News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Question re: Bulgarian Award

I have a Bulgarian award on one of my German medalbars that, according to Wikipedia, is called the "Military Cross for Bravery 2nd. Class". My question is, did this award actually count for anything in the scheme of things, or was this just something that everyone got if their trooptrain happened to pass through Bulgaria on the way to the Front? Any information concerning this inquiry will be greatfully appreciated. Thank you.

Obergefreiter's bar likely includes a Bulgarian Soldier's Cross for Bravery [a comparatively small silver or white medal cross on a light blue ribbon with silver side stripes], not a Military Bravery Order piece. The bar most likely originally belonged to an enlisted man or NCO. Several detailed discussions regarding the Cross already exist on GMIC. It was not a 'been there' type award. If, on the other hand, it is an enameled cross, then it is probably a 4th class, second division [red enamel] or much rarer 3rd class, second division [white enamel] Order of Military Bravery--almost certainly awarded to an officer.

dedehansen appears to be thinking of the Bulgarian Order of Military Bravery, almost always awarded to officers and in the 2nd class [neck badge]a very scarce award for general and above officers. The Soldier's Cross for Bravery affiliated to the Order is often described as the 'enlisted' version.

"Correct" lst class Soldier's Crosses are gilt with a bow on the ribbon; 2nd class -- same without bow, 3rd class, silver [ed] with a bow on the ribbon; 4th class -- same without bow. Very few full-size German bars have Crosses with bows, probably due to both infrequent awards and unfamiliarity with mounting them.

Edited by 922F

No it isn’t a neck award. I am at work right now, so I don’t have access to the medalbar. Here is a picture of the award as it appears on Wikipedia.

Sorry Gents. Apparantly I cannot download pictures of medals on Wikipedia. I'll have to send the pic tomorrow.

Edited by Obergefreiter