News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Met pair just arrived through the door :)

It's about time I posted something, seeing that so many members have helped me in the past, so when these came through my door today I thought I would share them with you as my latest medal addition:

1887 Metropolitan Police Jubilee medal: PC R. STAFFORD P DIVISION (CAMBERWELL)
    1897 bar to the above medal: PS R. STAFFORD H DIVISION (WHITECHAPEL)
    1902 Metropolitan Police Coronation medal: PS R. STAFFORD H DIVISION (WHITECHAPEL)

RUSSELL GUNNING STAFFORD was born on 1/10/1864 at Short Street, Ditton Marsh, Westbury, Wiltshire, and was the son of a local farmer. By 1881 he had moved to Somers Street, Portsea, Hampshire where he worked as a grocer's shopman and lodged above the shop. The following year he married Clara Conrad a music seller in Portsea, then on 23/2/1886 he joined the Metropolitan Police. His warrant number was 71307 and he went onto P Division (Camberwell). He gave evidence at The Old Bailey on 30/01/1888 in a deception/forgery trial and his collar number then was given as P.387.
    By 1897 he had transferred to H Division (Whitechapel) where he had been promoted to the rank of Sergeant and lived with his wife in Exmouth Street, just off the Commercial Road.

On 20/04/1909 he again gave evidence at The Old Bailey in a deception/fraud trial, but this time he is recorded as Police Sergeant, H Division Warrant Officer - Thames Police Court (Which is a new rank on me, did every Court have a warrants Sergeant I wonder?)

He remained in Whitechapel until his retirement on 27/02/1911 whilst serving as a Station Police Sergeant.
    He passed away on 12/3/1937 at 41 Ben Jonson Road, Stepney, London. The below photo of him is on the Stafford family tree on Ancestry.com
    Regards, Jon
    Edited by Insp43519

Welcome to GMIC Jon. You say you haven't been on for a while - I'm wondering why it hasn't shown-up ? Your post on these medals is interesting -

Thames Court is where we used to go since it covered mainly 'H' Div. There was a Court Inspector and a Court Sergeant - he administered the prisoners

and the cells. I don't recall a Warrants Sgt. However, Bethnal Green had an admin. office with officers attached for serving Warrants. Mervyn

Jon, now you're starting to make me envious. Very nice pair of medals and as mentioned it's great to see a photo of the recipient as well.

Whitechaple is a name that must be known around the world. If I mention to anyone here that I collect British Police memorabilia the first thing they mention is Whitechaple, too bad that H Division is still not represented in my collection. But perhaps there's still time left to correct that.

Regards

Brian

Thank you Brian, I know what you mean about Whitechapel, the reason I collect is because the Victorian period is my favourite era and out of all the divisions of the Met, I concentrate on Whitechapel as it was a very busy poor area with a very high crime rate, and obviously has had it's fair share of notorious crimes such as the Ripper killings and the Siege of Sidney Street etc..

Jon