News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Interesting medal group to a member of the MGC

Quite a while ago I spotted a set of medals being offered for sale. The set were to a member of the MGC who had been awarded the MM for his part in the battle of Arras in April 1917. Included with the WW1 trio were his cap badge for the 1/6th Black Watch, and his cap badge and shoulder titles for the MGC. There was no explanation given for the missing MM, but the seller was threatening to break up the set even further if a buyer couldn't be found.

Medals are not really the kind of thing I collect. But having had a long interest in WW1 machine guns and the MGC in general, I thought it would be a shame to see the items sold off as individual lots, and I decided to purchase them to stop this from happening. The medals and badges duly arrived, rather poorly mounted in a cheap and tatty picture frame. Some research into the recipient had already been carried out, but I decided to do a little more.

Private Barclay James Stewart signed up for four years service with the 1/6th Black Watch Territorial Battalion on the 7th March 1914. In May 1915 his unit embarked for France. Not long afterwards he was serving in the front line. And on the 18th August 1915 he recieved a slight GSW to the neck and was hospitalised at Millencourt.

In March 1916 he was sent back to England, where he transferred to 103 Coy MGC and returned to France in Septemebr 1916. He hadn't been back at the front that long before he found himself in trouble with his unit. On the 28th October he was found to be 'Smoking while on standby in the trenches.' On the 20th November he was tried and found guilty. His punishment was five days loss of pay. On 4th December he was in trouble again for 'Losing by neglect, one set of numerals.'

In April 1917 he took part in the battle of Arras, and was awarded the Military Medal which was gazetted on the 18th July 1917. On the 21st September he recieved a GSW to his leg and was hospitalised. He ended his days with 91 Coy MGC in Italy before being demobbed.

I took the decision to add a quality die-struck copy of the MM to his trio before re-mounting them in a better frame. Eventually I will replace the modern ribbons with something more suitable. It would be interesting to know what became of his original MM. maybe somebody in his family still has it.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2013/post-15217-0-33280900-1366211491.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2013/post-15217-0-56735400-1366211527.jpg

Nice acquisition. As to what happened to his MM? I wish I could help. I too am missing a MM for one of my groupings. Actually missing the MM, BWM and VM. I have his 14-15 Star and have purchaced his original DCM, so I have partly put a group back together. LOL