News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Armor, or Armour

Jim Baker

Kevin,

Very nice indeed!

Weathering is an art in itself, and one of the most difficult phases of the process. Too much is not good as it would seem quite exagerated for the scale, not enough is not good either as not realistic enough.

These vehicles seem to have the right amount of weathering and look just great and pretty realistic! Congratulations (to your brother :cheeky: )! :beer:

Dolf :cheers:

Edited by Dolf

• Replies 84
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

more shots of the British Vehicles,

and a shot of an IRISH GUARDS SQUADDIE,

OPPS forgot to mention all the models are 1/35th scale.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Hallo Dolf, :beer: thanks for the comments I will pass them on to my brother in Ireland, the camo uniform painting technique takes a lot of practise too :P

But the next couple of shots show one of his specialities. . . . RUST :jumping::jumping:

SERBIAN T55 KNOCKED OUT IN KOSOVO

Edited by Kev in Deva

Hallo Dolf, :beer: thanks for the comments I will pass them on to my brother in Ireland, the camo uniform painting technique takes a lot of practise too :P

But the next couple of shots show one of his specialities. . . . RUST :jumping::jumping:

All his models are handpainted by brush, NOT an Airbrush in sight :jumping:

Its late but hopefully more will be posted tomorrow night.

Edited by Kev in Deva

Yes, painting figures is quite special, and camo uniforms can sometimes be a real headache! :speechless:

WOW! That's something I never tried before, at least not on an entire vehicle!!! Have made some small spots of rust in vehicles here and there, but not cover an entire vehicle of rust!

Great job!!! :beer:

Dolf

All his models are handpainted by brush, NOT an Airbrush in sight :jumping:

Its late but hopefully more will be posted tomorrow night.

I've used both, brush and airbrush painting, most of the time brush.

Airbrush is very useful for the basic primary, and for the whole painting of the mainbody of a vehicle or aircraft (even thought a good brush can also be used for this) but all the weathering must be obviously made with different kinds of brush.

Ok buddy, have a good night and please keep posting these great pics! :jumping:

Dolf

I've used both, brush and airbrush painting, most of the time brush.

Airbrush is very useful for the basic primary, and for the whole painting of the mainbody of a vehicle or aircraft (even thought a good brush can also be used for this) but all the weathering must be obviously made with different kinds of brush.

Ok buddy, have a good night and please keep posting these great pics! :jumping:

Dolf

A photo if the engine deck details, with regards a knocked out tank, especialy after a fire the rust is very quick to set in.

A photo if the engine deck details, with regards a knocked out tank, especialy after a fire the rust is very quick to set in.

Wonderful detail Kevin! WOW!!! :jumping:

Dolf :beer:

Another shot of the Serbian T-55 while undergoing the Rust treatment at the hands of my brother Anthony.

Another shot of the Serbian T-55 while undergoing the Rust treatment at the hands of my brother Anthony.

Now we see another of his creations a British KFOR Armoured Engineer Vehicle in or around Kosovo.

Hallo Dolf and of course other model making members :beer:

Over-head shot of the British KFOR Armoured Engineer Vehicle, as he was away from home he was only able to send me some pictures taken on his digital camera and not complete walk around shots of the models :(

Edited by Kev in Deva

And for the WW2 tank fanatics here is a STUG III F in Kharkov, on the Russian Front. . . . (well er...actually on a plain bit of board :P )

This will probably be the last I post for a few days because I am heading for the mountains with the family for about 10 days :jumping:

And for the WW2 tank fanatics here is a STUG III F in Kharkov, on the Russian Front. . . . (well er...actually on a plain bit of board :P )

Kevin,

Well, what really counts is the individual model we make, and if the marks ID it as a vehicle that was in Kharkov... that's what counts :P:beer:

This will probably be the last I post for a few days because I am heading for the mountains with the family for about 10 days :jumping:

Have a great vacations :cheers:

Dolf

Edited by Dolf

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kevin

Your brother does amazing work. :beer: That T55/54 brought back some memories, I had to find the photo's and post.

Tha was laying just outside of Donji Rajic in Wet Slavonia, Croatia, in 1993 it had been there for about 9 mths, note that the fume extractor has been removed from the barrel.

Edited by Laurence Strong

Another one from the rear. I have some more shots including one I took thru the turret hatch, should anyone want them for modeling.

Hallo Larry & Panzerman, :beer::beer:

thanks for the comments about my brothers style in model building and painting I will be sure to pass them along to him, may I obtain copies of the pictures you mentioned, for him to study??

I am sure I can pursuade him to send more pictures when he has a free moment or two, he is in his busy season now, he works as an absailing instructor and hill-walking - mountain guide at an adventure school in Ireland and deals mainly with under-privillaged kids, kids from problem homes, (Mother & Father have abused them or are drunks and drug users,) as well as Scout groups and School groups.

He is with the help an Irish friend who lives in London, also busy working on a book with regards all known types of Armour used by the Irish Republic from 1922 to the present day, (with particular attention to the tanks received from Great Britain.) more details later on this project.

Kevin in Deva, :beer:

• 3 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

I built one of the old 1/25 Tamya Tiger Is several years back. It's a big model so you can add lots of detail. The kit is of an early production version, so I changed thigs around a bit to make it a mid-production version.

Interior with the deck still on. The six rounds under the turret floor are cast resin; I used the front-end of a 1/48 Sparrow missle as the master. The floor, drive shafts, and ammo bins are all scratch.

And the driver. I used several parts from the other two kit figures to put this guy together. I wired up his ear phones and added a throat mic. Most of his uniform bit and bobs are separate pieces. I used oil paints for the face - first time I'd done that.

I tinkered with this kit on-and-off for about 5 years. I tried lots of new techniques I'd read about in magazines. I learned much about the limits of my abilities from this kit :P

Scott

Edited by Scott