News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hannover - William's Cross for officers for 25 years service

King William IV instituted a cross in gold for officers of the Hannoverian army who had 25 years service. William died in 1837- the same year that the award was founded.

Below are pictures of the obverse/reverse of a William Cross.

Does anyone know whether the William Cross continued to be issued during the reigns of Ernest Augustus 1 (1837-51) and George V (1851-66)?

If the cross was issued throughout the period 1837-1866 did the design of it change in any way would allow you to date the period when the cross was awarded?

Paul

Edited by Paul_1957

In short: yes.

according to Hessenthal, the cross was established shortly before Wilhelms death on 20.6.1837 and was awarded until the annexation of Hanover in 1866/67. There is some indication that the cross was awarded a few times to Hanovarian officers in exile in the Hanovarian Legion in France until is was disbanded in 1870, just before the outbreak of the war. According to Hessenthal it was also awarded to general-Auditeure, Stabs-Auditeure and Garnison-Auditeure after 20.4.1855.

As I recall there was an Orden magazine article about these a few decades ago. I can not remember if there were era variations, but I would bet there were.

Edited by Ulsterman

In short: yes.

according to Hessenthal, the cross was established shortly before Wilhelms death on 20.6.1837 and was awarded until the annexation of Hanover in 1866/67. There is some indication that the cross was awarded a few times to Hanovarian officers in exile in the Hanovarian Legion in France until is was disbanded in 1870, just before the outbreak of the war. According to Hessenthal it was also awarded to general-Auditeure, Stabs-Auditeure and Garnison-Auditeure after 20.4.1855.

As I recall there was an Orden magazine article about these a few decades ago. I can not remember if there were era variations, but I would bet there were.

Thank you for confirming that the Cross was awarded up to (and perhaps beyond) 1866.

If anyone knows about any design variations during the life of this award I would be interested to hear about them.

Paul

• 4 months later...