News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal of Zeal on St. Stanislaus ribbon awarded to German Sailor

Claudius

Most interesting; are there any circumstances relating to the award such as an Imperial visit?

Paul

That's what I'm trying to find out.

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/58436-anyone-have-the-ships-pre-wwi-history-for-sms-yorck/#entry544390

Either the ship visited Russia (St. Petersburg?), or an Imperial Russian delegation came to his ship.

As you already know, the “Medal of Zeal" can be interpreted as “Medal for Good Service”. He was already an Oberbootmaat with a nine year service bar in 1907. He must have had a position of small responsibility during the royal visit that they gave him this token of regard for his " good service".

I just wish I knew the circumstances.

I wonder if this was his only award ... :whistle:

Nice piece by the way :cheers:

No need to wonder....he earned Long Service 3rd class, a Long Service 2nd class and an EK2 in 1917. Kyffhauser-Bund and HK after the war.

Nice piece: Thanks.

I have done a great deal of trawling but I cannot find any evidence of Yorck being in Russia in 1909, had the award been 1913 it would have fitted nicely. I think the only way of finding anything definite would be through ships logs or German or Russian papers of the period.

Paul

I have done a great deal of trawling but I cannot find any evidence of Yorck being in Russia in 1909, had the award been 1913 it would have fitted nicely. I think the only way of finding anything definite would be through ships logs or German or Russian papers of the period.

Paul

Thank you Paul and Nick for looking.

It must have been just a small event that warranted the award.

• 1 year later...