News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medaille de l'Europe - need to identify

Linasl

Hello all.

I just bought this commander-grade medal that states "Medaille de l'Europe". I bought it here in France, and the text is in French, but I know nothing about it.

If you can give me ANY idea what organizaion this is, what is is for, etc., it would be greatly appreciated.

I only have this one photo. It is the best I can do.

Thank you. Linas

This may be an award of the Association for European Development--an organization seemingly without easily researchable information. Based on the cravat loop, possibly of Spanish manufacture with a badge design stemming for the Belgian Order of the African Star? Insignia of the organization's Spanish branch has a similar center. Perhaps the Association's central authority or other national divisions have different insignia types of which this is an example.

Hello Linas

I don't quite see what makes you think this could be a French award. Obviously the legend is in french, but the design is stricklngly similar to the Belgian order you mention.

The sure thing is... that it is not an official french award of any kind. Private initiative is plentiful and very imaginative.

Il is important to medal collectors to see such productions and discuss them. They are so very much like the real thing (which of course they closely mimic) that they can induce confusion. And they can, of course, be a collection in their own right.

Thank you for taking the trouble to show this picture and start the discussion. Let's hope someone will be able to put a name on it and explain what it is.

All the best

Veteran

Edited by Veteran

Thanks Veteran,

I assumed from the begiing that it is an unoffical medal. I bought it because it is attractive.

Will see if I can find out even moe info.

Take care. Linas

I found this on the internet, may be relevant.

The Federation des Combattants Allies en Europe (FCAEE) (The Allied Forces in Europe Veterans' Federation) was created in France in 1968. Its brochure states that its aim is to maintain the bonds of friendship forged in the second World War between members of the Allied forces, resistance fighters and deportees as well as with veterans of the Algerian and Indochina wars. The leaflet reveals that in 1971 the FCAEE was coupled to the Interallied Military Organization Sphinx (IMOS) which had seen the light of day two months earlier and whose president was colonel Poziemski (13). The honorary president was "General" Zdrojevski, (14) "former commander in chief of Polish Forces in France during WWII and former chief of Polish resistance in France." The sheet continues "its second honorary president is British General Sir Collin Gubbins, Chief of the Special Operations Executive during the war". Its president, colonel Poziemski also heads the "National Association of Polish War Veterans" (ZUPRO) as well as the "International I.M.O.S. Academy" of which he is international deputy president. The pamphlet goes on that "the Federation has placed itself under the patronage of two famous but now deceased American generals, Eisenhower and Patton for whom medals have been struck. The Federation has created the Medal of Europe divided into three classes: these three grades are proffered according to the other military awards held by the individual. The lowest grade may be awarded to individuals for distinguished service to the Federation and may include authors

Paul

Paul, Linsl’s piece does not appear to be included in current FCAEE materials. An image of FCAEE's Medal of Europe & associated document may be viewed at http://collections.delcampe.net/page/item/id,170087712,var,MEDAILLE-dEUROPE-Federation-des-Combattants-Allies-en-Europe-et-carte-de-Membre-Delegue,language,F.html. See also http://www.semon.fr/LES%20ASSOCIATIVES_4.htm in the lower third of the page.

In common with other such organizations, FCAEE & ZUPRO offer several different awards not only to veterans and their off-spring but to well-wishers and other contributors. FCAEE’s various websites describe the organization, its activities, and awards. A dissenting view on the ‘worth’ of these awards may be located at http://www.maineworldnewsservice.com/caltrap/once_and_perhaps_still_lucrative.htm.

I should have translated Association for European Development as ‘Association for European Promotion’. That group’s Spanish website available in English at http://www.aefe.es/eng/enghome.html explains its aims & presents an indistinct image of honorees wearing neck badges with ribbons [http://www.aefe.es/es/foto.g.DistincionesAEFE120311.htm]. Ribbon appears similar to Linasl’s example while insignia has same central medallion.

Thanks for clearing that up. These pseudo decorations seem to spring up like a swarm of locusts. I am sure if I wished to get some awards given a few bob I could get a chestful.

Paul