News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Serbian medal bar of 12 missing first

Hello,

I have this medal bar for almost a year and still not 100% sure which one should be on the first place. It is as u can see original old bar, so I was wondering if you people know someboady in England who can repair it....(shop or some private bussiness)?

P.S. by the medals u can see that this persone was a great hero and very brave.

Greetings and welcome,

That's a nice medal bar but in my opinion a little bit strange. I think that you should take the small Obilić and put it on the first place and the 1913 cross on the last. Ribbon on the 6th and the last place seems to be the same, red with black edges so that is a little bit confusing, is there some foreign decoration with the ribbon like that? Nothing falls to my mind... One more strange thing, why are there all of his Obilićs and the oak branch on the bar at the same time.

All in all very interesting medal bar with 4 Serbian and 2 foreign bravery awards. My humble opinion is that you shouldn't repair anything, it's shape is not so bad, only thing missing are hooks on the first and the last place and one decoration.

P.S. if the order of decorations on the bar is original, if nothing has been changed, it could easy be that the Order of the Star of Karageorge with swords for Soldiers and NCOs. was on the first place.

Kind regards,

Radmilo

Thanks Radmilo,

I also think that on the first place is Karadjordje military star because this is military bar.... I havent touched the bar or changed any order of decorations on it, and I think that the person who sold me didnt also , because he is the grand grand son of the person, and he doesnt care for this things. He also sold me white eagle with swords and yugoslav crown 5. I am new in this but I have desire to collect my country medals just to have something for my sons (3years+) who are born in England. This is my colection:

Great collection! Thanks for sharing it with us. The White Eagle looks like Huguenin, I can also see that you have all of Serbian war medals (1876-77-78, 1885-86, 1912, 1913, 1914-18), my congrats!

According to the regulations 1913 cross should be on the last place, and that is also logical, that the 1913 war medal is next to the 1912 war medal.

About the Oblilić medal, ribbon is not appropriate and according to the order of precedence it should be in front of all commemorative and other medals, not on the last place.

If the person was awarded the same medal more than once he was to put only one on the bar and oak branches on the ribbon for every next one. Officers and NCOs were often breaking this rule by putting all of their medals on the bar, but wearing all of Obilićs and oak branch at the same time is strange.

Also 1912 silver bravery medal is on a strange place, should be next to Oblilićs.

When it comes to Serbian medal bars there are lot on inconsistencies, regulations were often broken, but the ribbon is always the best indicator, it tells you which medal was where.

My opinion is that the medals should have been placed in this order in the first place:

-Domestic bravery medals

-Foreign bravery medals

-Albanian retreat medal

-Medal for military virtues

-Medal for zealous service

-1912 medal

-1913 medal

Were those White eagle and the Yugoslav Crown awarded to same person as other 12 medals on the bar? They should also be on the bar.

Anyway regardless of everything still a beautiful bar and a nice catch.

Kind regards,

Radmilo

Edited by paja

Thanks.

I really do not know what is the reason for such a schedule of decorations on branch but I am almost confident that is the original in issue. One of whom I bought is not a collector or in the business ( does not deal with it). Branch was inherited in family as well as the order of the white eagle and Yugoslav crown. I dont know the reason why are they not included on the bar? In my opinion the person was plain solder and not the officer, so that may be the reason for his order of decorations on the bar. Probably he was awarded with crown and eagle later in his life for his bravery and merit???
    I agree with you Radmilo of the order of decorations you have placed.
    It can be seen from the first decorations and onwards how the ribbons are placed on top of ich other and old so that if someone wanted to replace them would have had all the order to remove them and install again. Last ribbon is likely to be put off and replace with war memorial King Petar 1914-18 because to me it is logical, but I dont know how to do it.

I agree, medals on the bar are all from 1912-1918 wars, and White eagle is, considering that it is Huguenin, from post war era. But as far as I know that order was for officers only, and it couldn't have been awarded to soldier or NCO. On the other hand many soldiers were simple privates at the beginning of the war but earned NCO or even officer's rank after.

My humble opinion is that you should keep it authentic and not replace the ribbon. If it was up to me I would just put the small Obilić on the first place and WW1 commemorative medal on the last even though ribbon is not appropriate.

By the way, that Ilinden commemorative medal is great as well. Those are quite rare.

Edited by paja